This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

John Markovsky

Tanja

Thank you everyone for the information. Yes, I really like the 1968 Kirov version of Swan Lake, which is one of the reasons why I was curious about John Markovsky and was surprised to find almost no biographical information specifically on him, just bits and pieces when other dancers are discussed. I couldn't even find biographical basics such as date and place of birth.

In an interview for Russian TV made 4-5 years ago, in her apartment (with her pets running around), Osipenko mentioned that Markovsky had settled in Israel.

Thanks Natalia, do you know if he is still active artistically, as a teacher, director, choreographer?

Tanja, the show was about 5 years ago, so I don't know if Markovsky is still active but he was working with an Israel-based troupe at the time.

Markovsky's bio info should be easily found in either the "Encyclopaedia of Russian Ballet or the "Hundred years of Ballet in St-Petersburg" reference books. I have both at home so cannot check just now.

Tanja, the St-P tome indicates that Markovsky was born on Feb 23, 1944, in Yakutsk. Upon graduation from the local ballet academy in 62, danced with local troupe from 62-64. From 64-65, took the one-yr 'finishing class' at the Vaganova Academy, St-P (class of Kumysnikov). Then danced from 65-71 with Kirov, from 71-73 with Yakobsen's Chor. Miniatures troupe, from 73-77 with "Lenkonsert" (?), and from 77-82 as a soloist in Boris Eifman's troupe. Nothing listed after 82, so assume emigrated to Israel around then (as per Osipenko interview)???

Tanja, the St-P tome indicates that Markovsky was born on Feb 23, 1944, in Yakutsk. Upon graduation from the local ballet academy in 62, danced with local troupe from 62-64. From 64-65, took the one-yr 'finishing class' at the Vaganova Academy, St-P (class of Kumysnikov). Then danced from 65-71 with Kirov, from 71-73 with Yakobsen's Chor. Miniatures troupe, from 73-77 with "Lenkonsert" (?), and from 77-82 as a soloist in Boris Eifman's troupe. Nothing listed after 82, so assume emigrated to Israel around then (as per Osipenko interview)???

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Follow-up on John Markovsky. Here's an article in Russian about a get-together he and Alla Osipenko had in 2008. Markovsky returned to St. Petersburg from Israel in 2005 and has been living at the Savina House for Veterans of the Stage in that city. In the article, Markovsky admits he's an alcoholic but has been keeping himself under control for the past several months. http://ivlae.livejournal.com/17580.html

Basically, the article said Osipenko wasn't sure Markovsky would show up for the meeting  (he's known to be not terribly sociable) which was set up by critic Olga Rozanova, but he did. He was very self-conscious about some of the photos and videos they displayed of him and Osipenko but ultimately gave his impressions of the work. He said he has no interest in being a ballet coach, even though he's received several offers. If you look at the link, you'll see he looks amazingly good (in 2008 anyway) for someone who's had long time problems with alcohol.