Natalia

Keeping Up With...

4 hours ago, Helene said:

I'm not a big fan of Dracula's, but I'm glad to see story ballets that can take the financial burden off Nutcracker, where one winter storm can devastate the year's box office.

Retired PNB Dancer Jessika Anspach once called Nutcracker a gateway drug, and, typically, that supply runs out by December.  More in the pipeline, especially recognizable stories, to take advantage of an audience, especially a young audience, is a good thing.

Co-producer are generally win-win-win [n] when everyone cooperates.

Agreed -- while I've seen some pretty good Dracula material, I don't really care for it in a dance manifestation, but if it can spread the financial stress, I'm happy for that.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

Nicholas Ade's contract as CEO at Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet has been extended for five more years, with an option for two more:

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20170926/CPBJ01/170929913/central-pennsylvania-youth-ballet-stays-en-pointe-with-additions

It sounds like Ade has really worked on the internal structures of the school, which can sometimes get neglected -- noticed that this announcement was in a business paper.

I've been trying to follow along with Patricia Barker's move to the Royal New Zealand Ballet, but this sounds like things are not all well.  I hope they're not going to follow the same pattern as Pennsylvania Ballet has.

Oh boy. I don't remember any such grief or upheaval when Stiefel took over.

It isn't clear what her mandate was from the Board (or whatever the governing body is called).  She may very well be implementing a plan that has full approval and an expectation and acknowledgement of the consequences.  If she isn't, then I'd guess her tenure would be short.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

She may very well be implementing a plan that has full approval and an expectation and acknowledgement of the consequences. 

That may indeed be so.  We had an example of that here in Seattle, with a jazz dance company whose founding director left -- the board really wanted someone who would raise the profile of the group, and that's what they got.  But it meant that they had almost 100% turnover in the company, and an all-new repertory.  The dust from that transition has settled, and the group is indeed doing some wonderful work, but it was a painful process

Margaret Mullin interviewed Josh Spell for her podcast, "Beyond the Barre."  Spell came back to Seattle at the end of his dancing career to finish his undergraduate degree and to earn a Master's degree from UW.  He's a therapist at the Eating Recovery Center of Washington, after training at both Harborview and Overlake Hospitals.  

A lot of the conversation is pertinent to dance students, but it's an interesting conversation:

http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/body-image-with-josh-spell/

18 hours ago, Helene said:

Margaret Mullin interviewed Josh Spell for her podcast, "Beyond the Barre."  Spell came back to Seattle at the end of his dancing career to finish his undergraduate degree and to earn a Master's degree from UW.  He's a therapist at the Eating Recovery Center of Washington, after training at both Harborview and Overlake Hospitals.  

A lot of the conversation is pertinent to dance students, but it's an interesting conversation:

http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/body-image-with-josh-spell/

Thanks for the heads-up - I don't always monitor this.  I'm glad to hear more about Josh Spell.  I knew he went to Kansas City, but didn't know what came next.

Yes, thank you for posting this. I listened to the podcast over the weekend, and it seems that Josh Spell has found a great fit for a second career. He sounds like exactly the kind of caring and compassionate professional that is needed in social work and the particular populations he's specialized in. Always good to hear such a transition success story :)