Natalia

Keeping Up With...

Helene   

Congratulations to Patricia Barker and to Royal New Zealand Ballet! :flowers:

The weather in New Zealand is a lot like the weather in Seattle, on the opposite latitude line :).  She'll be skipping summer in Michigan and going back to late Fall/winter in the southern hemisphere.

sandik   
10 hours ago, pherank said:

Congratulations to Ms. Barker. She looks a bit angry in that picture.  ;)

I think she looks quite a bit like Francia Russell in this image, though yes, on the stern side.

This should be an interesting move for her -- the NZ company has a fascinating history, with influences from Denmark and the US as well as the UK connection that you would expect in a Commonwealth country.

sandik   

Kerollis has really worked hard on this transition -- I've been so impressed.

I always loved the way Barry danced at PNB.  He put so much energy and pieces of himself whole-heartedly into his performances.  His comic sense was of the highest caliber.  His Puck was the best I'd ever seen.

Edited by SandyMcKean

sandik   

I remember him best as one of the four guys in Rubies, and in West Side Story Suite -- he reminded me so much of Action from the film.

Helene   

I also remember him at the two extremes, too: in lead roles as that fabulous Puck and as Mercutio in the Maillot -- both "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and many versions of "Romeo and Juliet" are listed among his ten favorite dance works in this week's Pas de Chat podcast -- but also in the corps as a dancer who always drew my eye.  I'll never forget him crossing the stage in the first movement of "Glass Pieces," for example.

I still miss his dancing.

sandik   
7 hours ago, Helene said:

Thanks to link in  @millvillemurphs post in the BalletMet forum, I learned that Sean Rollofson is one of the seven new dancers going to BalletMet.

I'm glad to hear this -- I was wondering what happened to him.  Any idea where he's been since he left PNB?