This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Choreographer in Residence David Dawson

Thanks, mmded. Dancers outside of Europe may not be as familiar with this name as those who know his work as a dancer and a choreographer in the UK and on the continent.

Any thoughts from those who know Dawson's work?

I came across the following link to YouTube at the bottom of Dawson's Wikipedia article. It shows segments of his re-choreography of the Nijinsky Afternoon of a Faun for the English National Ballet. (Skip to last minute or so of the video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72BOVAHGxU

Here is he rehearsing dancers of the Dutch National Ballet in one of his works, Reverence.

Many thanks, mmded, for the reminder of Marc Haegemann's review. Not only did he describe the ballet as "among the most rewarding new ballets acquired by Flanders in the last dozen years", Dawson's appointment also could begin to address his critique that "the current season wasn’t in any way different from the preceding ones, in that it didn’t give us any real indication where the company is heading to and in what way it is going to survive the next 10 years".

Royal Ballet of Flanders has very fine dancers, if the audience in Gent gave little energy back to the stage in the few performances I've seen there.

Thanks, mmded. Dancers outside of Europe may not be as familiar with this name as those who know his work as a dancer and a choreographer in the UK and on the continent.

Clips from a live Semperoper Ballett performance of Dawson's Giselle are on YouTube and the company website. Does anyone know if a tape of the entire performance is available? I've sent emails to the company media reps but never heard back.

Thanks