This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

British ballet and schoolchildren from another time

Sheilah O'Reilly was one of the original members of the Sadler' Wells Theatre Ballet, appearing with the company from 1945 to 1955. She created the role of Mrs Dimple in John Cranko's Pineapple Poll and also had a part in the original version of Lady and the Fool. She created the title role in Celia Franca's Khadra and also danced the Betrayed Girl in Rake's Progress, the Bride in La Fete Etrange and Swanhilda in Coppelia.

I remember Sheilah O'Reilly well. In 1957 when I was a pupil at the ballet school of the opera house in Gothenburg, the late Leonid Massine was contracted to bring some dancers and stage some ballets, Les Sylphides and Gaite Parisienne amongst others. Ms. O'Reilly was one of those dancers, I remember her as a very lovely and friendly person. I think she was just recovering from some illness - believe that she had polio - and she was working her way back. I would really like to know what happened to her and if she could manage a career in ballet. Maybe Mathilde could throw some light on the subject.