This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Do dancers "know where they are"?

I live in So. Cal.......not exactly a ballet center in the US.

I am wondering if dancers are....conservative regarding choreography......when it comes to performing in 2nd or maybe 3rd tier venues....So. Cal is not San Fransisco.

I have noticed this...conservatisim.... in one production I've been..and was in a way dissapointed.

I can..however...acknowledge that to risk injury in a venue that is not top tier is not wise.

Any input?

I live in So. Cal.......not exactly a ballet center in the US.

I am wondering if dancers are....conservative regarding choreography......when it comes to performing in 2nd or maybe 3rd tier venues....So. Cal is not San Fransisco.

I have noticed this...conservatisim.... in one production I've been..and was in a way dissapointed.

I can..however...acknowledge that to risk injury in a venue that is not top tier is not wise.

Any input?

Dancers have very little say as to what they perform where. It's Artistic Directors and presenters you should be asking.

From the title and the leading post, I'd say that the question is along the lines of, "Does a dancer sometimes let it go at a less-prestigious venue? Dance as if they're phoning it in?" The answer has to be yes, sometimes. But it will get you into trouble with the ballet master and the director, at least. Dancers are ethically bound to put out the best show they can for all audiences, even in Podunk!

I totally agree with Ray's and Mel's answer about who are the real repertory decision makers at a venue, and the required performance levels of the dancers, but I am puzzled by what prompted the original iczerman question... I lived almost 10 years in SoCal (my father for almost 40) and, while it may not be a major U.S. dance center due to the difficulties of forming and continuing a viable local classical company, many many major internationally renowned ballet companies do tour there--usually to either the Dorothy Chandler or OCPAC, but I've also seen performances at Shrine, Royce, and some smaller theaters. All these venues are used to dance companies and accomodate them accordingly. Southern California is NOT "podunk". In fact, at no time do I remember seeing a company so 'underperform' that it was noticeable. Most companies that tour to SoCal fill the theaters they perform at with enthusiastic audiences. ABT used to regularly fill Shrine (capacity 5600) in the Baryshnikov years and dance in that cavern and still project brilliantly to the rafters. In the other venues, mentioned above, they and others also have had no problem filling theaters. So, if the audiences are enthusiastic and appreciative, and the venues acceptable technically and also aesthetically, why would anyone perform at less than their best?!