This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Q: Giselle Dutch Nat'l Ballet's Peasant Pas

I just got the Bluray of the Dutch National Ballet's Giselle and watched a bit of Act 1; seems pretty nice overall but nothing really particularly stood out to me; I am going to watch Act 2 this week sometime. But the Peasant Pas was quite different. Has anyone seen it? It is 2 couples and they do the adagio together, but then each dancer gets one of the variations. The men's variations used music that was from Peasant Pas, but the women's variations were totally different music and none that I've heard before. Does anyone know what this music is from?

thx

-goro-

I just got the Bluray of the Dutch National Ballet's Giselle and watched a bit of Act 1; seems pretty nice overall but nothing really particularly stood out to me; I am going to watch Act 2 this week sometime. But the Peasant Pas was quite different. Has anyone seen it? It is 2 couples and they do the adagio together, but then each dancer gets one of the variations. The men's variations used music that was from Peasant Pas, but the women's variations were totally different music and none that I've heard before. Does anyone know what this music is from?

thx

-goro-

Hi, I asked the choreographers about this and was told the following: the flute solo is from the original score of Giselle. The other solo is a piece of Adam music which was found in the Kirov library by the music researcher who worked on this production. It was originally for piano and was orchestrated for the Dutch National production. Hope that answers your questions!

thx

-goro-

Hi, I asked the choreographers about this and was told the following: the flute solo is from the original score of Giselle. The other solo is a piece of Adam music which was found in the Kirov library by the music researcher who worked on this production. It was originally for piano and was orchestrated for the Dutch National production. Hope that answers your questions!

Thanks very much for the response. That's quite interesting. So then was the choreography for the women's variations new or were they previously existing? They are not the "normal" Peasant Pas woman's variations (or at least the ones I'm familiar with).

thx

-ed-

thx

-goro-

Thanks very much for the response. That's quite interesting. So then was the choreography for the women's variations new or were they previously existing? They are not the "normal" Peasant Pas woman's variations (or at least the ones I'm familiar with).

thx

-ed-

That's right Ed, they were not the usual variations - they were choreographed specially for this production by Rachel Beaujean.

Glad to help!