This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've read articles about Olga Spessivtseva and seen some clips on youtube and I'm fascinated by her. Her dancing has a quality that just draws you into the story and character she's portraying. So, I'm curious if a complete performance of hers was ever filmed (especially Giselle and her famous solo). I know there are clips of her performing this and the mad scene, but I'm really interested to know if there's a complete performance among video records that could perharps someday be realeased comercially (like Danilova's Gaitée Parisienne was thankfully.) If anyone could shed some light as to possibilities of seeing this great dancer on video, it would be greatly appreciated.

the excerpts of OS in act 1 of GISELLE in London are all that ever turns up when her story - or the story of GISELLE - is told in films/videos after her time.

if there is anything more 'out there,' it has yet to be even talked about, let alone 'released.'

a newly compiled book about the ballerina is about to be released, or may have already been released, in Russia - part of series that so far includes studies of such individual dancers as Kshesinska, Pavlova, and Nijinsky - so perhaps if any subsquent films exist they will be noted in this study, but as noted above, none have been spoken of so far.

the excerpts of OS in act 1 of GISELLE in London are all that ever turns up when her story - or the story of GISELLE - is told in films/videos after her time.

if there is anything more 'out there,' it has yet to be even talked about, let alone 'released.'

I have not found other films of Spessivtseva and the one we have was filmed on a small stage wih a shoestring budget.

The credits read:" Filmed at the Savoy Theatre in June 1932" Spessivtseva was 37 years of age at the time and the ballet was staged by SERGEYEV, Nicholas with production by the Camargo Ballet Society.

The cast makes interesting reading:- Giselle SPESSIVTSEVA, Olga, Albrecht, DOLIN, Anton, Berthe STEWART, Marjorie, Hilarion ASHTON, Frederick.On-screen participant LESTER, Keith, On-screen Participant RAMBERT, Marie, On-screen Participant SNELL, Herman B, On-screen Participant HAYES, Helen.

Walter and Pearl Duff were responsible for the filming and directing.

The was a Russian biographical film made in 1995 about Spessivtseva called The Mania of Giselle starring Galina Tyunina. Ballet interest is to be found among the rest of the cast:- Gabriella Komleva, Anna Aleksakhina, Olga Vasilyeva, Sergei Vinogradov, Alexei Gherman, Nikita Dolgushin, Mikhail Kozakov, , Andrey Kuznetsov, Anastasia Melnikova, Tatyana Moskvina, Ivan Okhlobystin