This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Tradition and Innovation" Program

I saw half of the opening night program on Tuesday. I skipped Naive and Sentimental Music. Tiler Peck and Robert Fairchild were very good in Who Cares. However, I miss the highly romantic tinge that other interpreters have brought to the Man I Love segment. That seemed to be missing or diminished in Peck's performance, in my opinion. I thought some of the partnering in The Man I Love section could have been smoother, but I know that Peck was a last minute replacement for Morgan in that role, so I'm guessing that Peck and Fairchild didn't have much rehearsal time together. Peck's musicality and fleet footwork were marvelous in the Fascinating Rhythm section. Hyltin and Scheller were fine, but nothing remarkable in my opinion. It was fun to see the "new" section, "Clap Yo Hands" (I've never seen that section; according to the Times it has not been performed at NYCB in several decades.) I hope to catch Midsummer Night Dream this weekend and on Tues.

I saw half of the opening night program on Tuesday. I skipped Naive and Sentimental Music. Tiler Peck and Robert Fairchild were very good in Who Cares. However, I miss the highly romantic tinge that other interpreters have brought to the Man I Love segment. That seemed to be missing or diminished in Peck's performance, in my opinion. I thought some of the partnering in The Man I Love section could have been smoother, but I know that Peck was a last minute replacement for Morgan in that role, so I'm guessing that Peck and Fairchild didn't have much rehearsal time together. Peck's musicality and fleet footwork were marvelous in the Fascinating Rhythm section. Hyltin and Scheller were fine, but nothing remarkable in my opinion. It was fun to see the "new" section, "Clap Yo Hands" (I've never seen that section; according to the Times it has not been performed at NYCB in several decades.) I hope to catch Midsummer Night Dream this weekend and on Tues.

I totally agree about the Man I Love segment, abatt. I kept seeing Miranda Weese and Philip Neal in that role instead -- they did a wonderful job with that pdd. I also missed Sofiane Sylve as the blue girl -- I didn't think Ana Sophia Scheller had the same presence (although her turns were great). Robert Fairchild was in his element, though -- he looked so much more animated than he was in the Nutcracker -- unlike then, he really seemed to be enjoying himself here. Who wouldn't, with such wonderful music! :shake: