This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NY Mag’s Wrap Up of Culture in the 00’s

Someone at New York Magazine must have a serious thing for NYCB. In addition to three 2009 hits on The Approval Matrix (links below) it’s garnered a slot in this week’s “A Million Little Pieces: a Smattering of the Moments that Changed the Way we Entertain Ourselves”

The entry? “February 22 [2006]: Peter Martins youth-enizes New York City Ballet, casting spunky Tiler Peck, 17, in his virtuosic Friandises; later, stages age-appropriate Romeo and Juliet.”

The hard copy of the magazine features an illustrated timeline of the decade and an OK pic of Sterling Hyltin and Robert Fairchild in R+J encircled by headshots of Stephen Colbert, Perez Hilton, Tina Fey, Borat, the Brokeback Mountain cowboys (yes, I know, technically they’re sheepherders) and Tina Fey. The online version is text only.

I dunno – If I were choosing an 00’s ballet moment to feature on the same page as CBGBs reincarnation as a John Varvatos storefront or SNL’s “Dick in a Box” guys, I might have gone with Swamp Thing or David Hallberg’s Citizen bustier. I’m sure both have their NYCB equivalents, but I’ve undoubtedly repressed them, although my subconscious keeps flashing "Balanchine Centennial," "Boris Eifman" and "newly-commissioned ballet" at me for some reason. :off topic:

Approval Matrix Links:

Adrian Danchig-Waring Promotion

Corps Layoffs

Dancer's Choice - Rebecca Krohn & Adrian Danchig-Waring in "In G Major" (Never mind NYCB - Someone at NY Mag has a serious thing for Adrian Danchig-Waring. And why not? one might ask.)

Someone at New York Magazine must have a serious thing for NYCB. In addition to three 2009 hits on The Approval Matrix (links below) it’s garnered a slot in this week’s “A Million Little Pieces: a Smattering of the Moments that Changed the Way we Entertain Ourselves”

The entry? “February 22 [2006]: Peter Martins youth-enizes New York City Ballet, casting spunky Tiler Peck, 17, in his virtuosic Friandises; later, stages age-appropriate Romeo and Juliet.”

I dunno – If I were choosing an 00’s ballet moment to feature on the same page as CBGBs reincarnation as a John Varvatos storefront or SNL’s “Dick in a Box” guys, I might have gone with Swamp Thing or David Hallberg’s Citizen bustier. I’m sure both have their NYCB equivalents, but I’ve undoubtedly repressed them, although my subconscious keeps flashing "Balanchine Centennial," "Boris Eifman" and "newly-commissioned ballet" at me for some reason. :dry:

)

I vote for the NYCB Eifman ballet as well.

The use of "youth-enizes" seriously makes me nauseous. :off topic: