This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Your Favourite Ballet??

Around 1955, I wandered off the street in NYC into a place called City Center Theatre. There was a ballet company performing there, the NYCC Ballet. The director was George Balanchine. Principal dancers were Maria Tallchief and Tanaquil La Clercq. I had never seen a ballet or even thought of it previously. The curtain rose on "Concerto Barocco" to the music of Bach's Double Violin Concerto. From that unforgettable moment I was hooked forever into a lifetime of attending ballet performances. There are so many wonderful ballets but Concerto Barocco will always be at the top of my favorites.

Well, you certainly started out with a winner! You must have many wonderful memories. Why don't you stop by our Welcome Forum and introduce yourself? We'd love to hear a few!

I apologize for taking so long to reply to your post. It took me a while to locate it. From now on, anything you post will be instantly visible to the public, so we'll see you right away.

Welcome, George, and thank you for that post. Your first Balanchine/NYCB/City Center moment was only 2 years before mine. To come upon Concerto Barocco with a cast like that was a huge bit of luck.

There are a number of us on ballet talk who have memories of the City Center days. (We're part of a Balancine spectrum that covers many decades.) I hope you'll join us and look forward to hearing more of your memories and thoughts about ballet.