This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet or Opera photocard

i wonder if this photocard, from the imperial theater era in russia, say circa 1910, which has E. P. Edouardova handwritten in Russian on the back (for Eugenia Platonovna Eduardova), strikes anyone as a ballet image.

it could just as easily, i suppose, document a member of the imperial opera in the title role of TOSCA.

i recently became aware of Eduardova's emigration to the US, where the estate of her and her husband (dance critic Joseph Levitan) made a substantial donation of ballet related items to the New York Public Library, some of which are on display in the Performing Arts Library's current Diaghilev exhibition.

any/all suggestions gratefully accepted.

post-848-1250197740_thumb.jpg

i wonder if this photocard, from the imperial theater era in russia, say circa 1910, which has E. P. Edouardova handwritten in Russian on the back (for Eugenia Platonovna Eduardova), strikes anyone as a ballet image.

it could just as easily, i suppose, document a member of the imperial opera in the title role of TOSCA.

i recently became aware of Eduardova's emigration to the US, where the estate of her and her husband (dance critic Joseph Levitan) made a substantial donation of ballet related items to the New York Public Library, some of which are on display in the Performing Arts Library's current Diaghilev exhibition.

any/all suggestions gratefully accepted.

I thought Fokine's "Eunice" at first, but I am not sure about the headress and shoes being correct for that work. She was a demi-caractere and character dancer. I had no idea until I read your above information that she had reached New York where I now find she died in 1960. Thanks for posting the card. In most of the postcards I have seen of her she looks stately.

There is a good deal of information to be found about her post Marinsky life at: http://books.google.com/books?id=t-OLyzKAq...ova&f=false

PS

She was with Pavlova's company on her early tours to Sweden and appeared with her in London as well.

Vera Zorina was a pupil of Eduardova who also taught Leni Riefenstahl and a number of notable modern dancers.

I just realized that this is the same Eduardova who figures in a short sequence of Kafka's 1910 diary entries. A footnote in the American schocken books edition states that she was "a member of the Russian Ballet during its guest appearances at the German theater in Prague."

In a dream I asked the dancer Eduardova to dance the Czardas just one more time. She had a broad streak of shadow or light across the middle of her face between the lower part of her forehead and the cleft of her chin ...