This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT II to perform at Gerald W. Lynch Theater

From ABT:

ABT II TO PERFORM AT THE GERALD W. LYNCH THEATER,

JOHN JAY COLLEGE, FRIDAY, APRIL 3 & SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 8:00 P.M.

ABT II will present two performances at the Gerald W. Lynch Theater at John Jay College on Friday, April 3 and Saturday, April 4 at 8:00 P.M. The program will include the World Premiere of A Taste of Sweet Velvet by Jodie Gates, Altria/ABT Choreography Fellow, and the ABT II premiere of Jerome Robbins’ Interplay.

A Taste of Sweet Velvet by Jodie Gates is set to the second movement of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 in D Minor with costumes by Melanie Watnick. Gates was named the Altria/ABT Choreography Fellow for 2009 as part of Voices and Visions: The Altria/ABT Women’s Choreography Project, launched in 2008 in an effort to identify and nurture female choreographers. Additional support is provided by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund.

Jerome Robbins’ Interplay, staged by Jean-Pierre Frolich and set to the music of Morton Gould’s American Concertette, will receive its ABT II New York premiere at the Gerald W. Lynch Theater. Interplay is performed by permission of The Robbins Rights Trust.

Additional highlights for the New York performances of ABT II include the pas de deux from Swan Lake Act II and Don Quixote Act III, both staged by Wes Chapman with choreography after Marius Petipa, and Barbara, choreographed by Aszure Barton (2008 Altria/ABT Choreography Fellow) and set to a medley of songs by the French singer and songwriter Barbara.

ABT II is a classical company of thirteen young professional dancers. Directed by Wes Chapman, ABT II prepares dancers to enter American Ballet Theatre and provides opportunities for the emergence of new choreographers. Reaching more than 25,000 students each year through national performances, lecture-demonstrations and academic residencies, ABT II’s goal is to serve as a cultural ambassador to communities around the nation.

ABT II’s New York performances are supported, in part, by funding from the U.S. Department of Education, Fund for the Improvement of Education and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.

Tickets are $38 and $28. For more information about ABT II or to purchase tickets, please visit www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org> or contact Elizabeth Aymong at 212.477.3030, ext. 1168, or at eaymong@abt.org. The Gerald W. Lynch Theater is located at John Jay College, 899 10th Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets. For directions and information about the Lynch Theater, please visit http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/Theater.php.

I was on ABT's website and noticed that there are two new dancers listed in the ranks of ABT II. Their names are Brittany DeGrofft and Alberto Velazquez. I'm assuming they will be in the upcoming ABT II show. Did ABT move a few of the ABT II dancers up to the main company since they added new members??

Mr. Velazquez performed strongly and securely with ABT II at John Jay last Friday night. I didn't keep my program so I have only my strongest memories to recall from that evening. Velazquez made a very good impression on me. He danced a fine DonQ pas, even though he seemed a bit tired... A long day of rehearsals?... Velazquez has well-trained, polished lines and technique, but I felt he was capable of more energy in his delivery.

Velazquez also danced Robbins' Interplay with a strong, warm, at ease, presence on that same Friday night program, right before dancing DonQ pas.