This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Zakharova Supergame!

Natalia

The virtual world, the Internet, a second life, this is a really computer big game… Scenes of the ballet turn to be different levels of the game. In going from one scene to another, the title heroine advances to the next, more complex, level. At each new level, she has to win time in order to continue the game and, eventually, in the last scene, to reach planet, which belongs to Chronos, the absolute master of time. To beat time, gain control over it, is her aim and the cause of all the protracted battles of this supergame.

Francesco Ventriglia

I'm leaning towards Mashinka's assessment.

Well, I hate to say it but the Moscow public loved it. I would not be surprised if this will be nominated and perhaps win next year's Golden Mask Award for best new ballet in Russia. After all, we were just shocked that Vishneva's own edgy vanity project in 2008 -- Beauty in Motion -- won the latest Golden Mask. Edginess, not good old-fashioned quality, is in vogue in Russia right now, at least among the impressionable 'New Russian' sorts who vote for the Golden Masks.

Well, I hate to say it but the Moscow public loved it. I would not be surprised if this will be nominated and perhaps win next year's Golden Mask Award for best new ballet in Russia. After all, we were just shocked that Vishneva's own edgy vanity project in 2008 -- Beauty in Motion -- won the latest Golden Mask. Edginess, not good old-fashioned quality, is in vogue in Russia right now, at least among the impressionable 'New Russian' sorts who vote for the Golden Masks.

My impressions are just the opposite: the applause was not at all enthusiastic, though there was much of special "premier" public in the theatre. As far as I remember even no curtain calls. In the intermission I've heard a lot of harsh remarks on the choreography as well as anxious questions about current repertoir policy of the company ( after Ratmansky's retirement). As to the reviews, they were mostly negative - both from critics and from balletomanes (just have a look at forum.balletfriends.ru). So my view is that the ballet has no chance even to be nominated for the Golden Mask. And IMHO it has little in common with Vishneva's project, which may be disputable, but not helpless.

...... my view is that the ballet has no chance even to be nominated for the Golden Mask. And IMHO it has little in common with Vishneva's project, which may be disputable, but not helpless.

Thanks, ina. Glad to read that common sense is prevailing here.