This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I think one of the most enchanting (and underrated) ballet set pieces is the Esmeralda pas de six. Arlene Croce writes of falling in love with Asylmuratova while watching her in the Esmeralda pas de six. Unfortunately I haven't really been able to find many videos of the pas de six. I know there's a black and white video with Asylmuratova in "Classic Kirov" on an OOP videotape, and Komleva performs it in "Kirov Classical Nights" but does anyone know of any more filmed versions of the pas de six? And does the Kirov still perform it? I think someone petite and dark-haired like Pavlenko or Vishneva or Novikova could be enchanting dancing it.

I think one of the most enchanting (and underrated) ballet set pieces is the Esmeralda pas de six. Arlene Croce writes of falling in love with Asylmuratova while watching her in the Esmeralda pas de six. Unfortunately I haven't really been able to find many videos of the pas de six. I know there's a black and white video with Asylmuratova in "Classic Kirov" on an OOP videotape, and Komleva performs it in "Kirov Classical Nights" but does anyone know of any more filmed versions of the pas de six? And does the Kirov still perform it? I think someone petite and dark-haired like Pavlenko or Vishneva or Novikova could be enchanting dancing it.

it makes periodic appearances at the Vaganova Academy Graduation Galas, though not in '08. Maria Chugai danced it at her grad ('06). The complete ESMERALDA, including this pas de 6, used ot be performed at the Maly but never since Ruzimatov took over.

i doubt this has ever been re-released on DVD but this video also included the Pas de Six.

The Kirov Ballet in c1988. (124 min.) : sd., col.

Notes :Recorded in performance in London in summer 1988. A BBC production in association with the Entertainment Corporation. Producer: Julia Matheson. Director: John Michael Phillips.

SUMMARY: Compilation of ballet excerpts performed by members of the Kirov Ballet (artistic director: Oleg Vinogradov), accompanied by the Wren Orchestra of London, conducted by Viktor Fedotov.

CONTENTS: La bayadère: Kingdom of the shades. Choreography: Petipa. Music: Minkus. Perf. by Olga Chenchikova, Konstantin Zaklinsky, Margarita Kullik, Irina Sitnikova, Olga Likhovskaya, and ensemble. -- La Esmeralda: pas de six. Choreography: Petipa after Perrot. Music: Pugni. Perf. by Yelena Yevteyeva, Eldar Aliyev, and others. -- La vivandière: pas de six. Choreography: Saint-Léon. Music: Pugni. Perf. by Yelena Pankova, Sergei Vikharyev, and others. -- Le papillon: pas de deux. Choreography: Pierre Lacotte after Marie Taglioni. Music: Offenbach. Perf. by Irina Kolpakova and Sergei Berezhnoi. -- Swan lake: Act II pas de deux. Choreography: Konstantin Sergeyev after Ivanov. Music: Tchaikovsky. Perf. by Natalia Makarova and Zaklinsky. -- Don Quixote pas de deux. Choreography: Petipa. Music: Drigo. Perf. by Tatyana Terekhova and Makar Vaziev. -- Le corsaire: Le jardin animé. Choreography: Petipa after Perrot. Music: Drigo. Perf. by Yulia Makhalina; Lyubov Kunakova; Altynai Asylmuratova and Farukh Ruzimatov (pas de deux); Veronica Ivanova, Irina Chistyakova, and Zhanna Ayupova (pas de trois); and others.

i was rushed earlier but meant to add the full credits to the video that includes Komleva's ESMERALDA PAS DE SIX:

The Kirov Ballet: classic ballet night c1982. 87 min. : sd. color

Performance onstage by the Kirov Ballet.

Director: Nina Dimitrieva.

Copyright 1982 by Soviet Film and TV. Reissued as a videotape in 1986 by V.I.E.W. Video, New York.

Diana and Acteon grand pas classique. Chor: Agrippina Vaganova; mus: Cesare Pugni. Perf. by Tatiana Terekhova, Sergei Berezhnoi, and ensemble. - Esmeralda pas de six. Chor: Marius Petipa after Jules Perrot, restaged by Agrippina Vaganova; mus: Riccardo Drigo. Perf. by Gabriella Komleva (Esmeralda), Vitali Afanaskov (Gringoire), and four women. - Flower festival at Genzano pas de deux. Chor: Auguste Bournonville; mus: Edvard Helsted. Perf. by Natalia Bolshakova and Vadim Guliaev. - La vivandière pas de six. Chor: Pierre Lacotte after Arthur Saint-Léon; mus: Cesare Pugni. Perf. by Alla Sizova, Boris Blankov, and four women. - Grand pas classique from Le carnaval de Venise. Chor: Marius Petipa, restaged by Nadezhda Kranocheyeva; mus: Cesare Pugni. Perf. by Svetlana Efremova, Valeri Emets, and ensemble. - Pas de quatre. Chor: Anton Dolin; mus: Cesare Pugni. Perf. by Galina Mezentseva (Taglioni), Gabriella Komleva (Grahn), Irina Kolpakova (Grisi), and Elena Evteeva (Cerrito).