This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cory Stearns promoted to soloist

Here's ABT's official press release:

CORY STEARNS PROMOTED TO SOLOIST

WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Cory Stearns has been promoted to Soloist with American Ballet Theatre effective immediately. The promotion was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Born in Long Island, New York, Stearns began his classical training at Seiskaya Ballet with Mme. Valia Seiskaya. At age 15, he participated in the Youth America Grand Prix and was offered a full scholarship to The Royal Ballet School in London. During his training there, he performed in Madrid, Moscow, Milan and Germany. In March 2004, Stearns appeared with Kylie Minogue in her music video Chocolate. Upon graduating with honors from The Royal Ballet School, he received, for the second year, the Dame Ruth Railton Award for excellence in dance.

Stearns joined American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company in September 2004. He joined the main company of ABT as an apprentice in January 2005 and became a member of the corps de ballet in January 2006. His repertory with the Company includes Conrad in Le Corsaire, a leading role in Études, Her Lover in Jardin aux Lilas, a Carnival Dancer in Othello, Paris in Romeo and Juliet, the Celtic Prince and a Fairy Knight in The Sleeping Beauty and roles in Brief Fling, Citizen, Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes, The Leaves Are Fading, Overgrown Path and Rabbit and Rogue. Stearns created a featured role in From Here On Out.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2009 National Tour begins February 17 at The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

Given the large number of principal roles he has been given to date, his promotion is not surprising. Based on what I've seen, I think he has a lot of potential, but he has been thrust into too many leading roles too fast. In my opinion, he does not have the bravura technique that is required to advance into the principal level at ABT. It will be interesting to see if he can turn his performances up a few notches to reach that level.