This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in Wash., DC

Dec 27 update - Still no casting but I see that the KennCen website now shows that a pdd has been added to the mixed bills that commence the run -- either Flames of Paris (2 days) or Tchai pdd (once). Could this mean that DC will see the celebrated Mr. Simkin?

***from the KC website:

Feb. 17–19

Allegro Brillante

Choreography by George Balanchine

Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Flames of Paris, Pas de deux (Feb. 17 & 19)

Choreography from the original by Vasily Vainonen

Music by Boris Asafiev

Tschaikovsky, Pas de deux (Feb. 18 only)

Music by Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky

Brief Fling

Choreography by Twyla Tharp

Music by Michel Colombier and Percy Grainger

Pillar of Fire

Choreography by Antony Tudor

Staged by Donald Mahler

Music by Arnold Schoenberg

Dec 27 update - Still no casting but I see that the KennCen website now shows that a pdd has been added to the mixed bills that commence the run -- either Flames of Paris (2 days) or Tchai pdd (once). Could this mean that DC will see the celebrated Mr. Simkin?

***from the KC website:

Feb. 17–19

Allegro Brillante

Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Flames of Paris, Pas de deux (Feb. 17 & 19)

Choreography from the original by Vasily Vainonen

Music by Boris Asafiev

Tschaikovsky, Pas de deux (Feb. 18 only)

Music by Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky

Brief Fling

Choreography by Twyla Tharp

Music by Michel Colombier and Percy Grainger

Pillar of Fire

Choreography by Antony Tudor

Staged by Donald Mahler

Music by Arnold Schoenberg

The casting is now in the Kennedy Center website.D Simkin and S Lane are doing the 2 Flame Of Paris PDD. G Murphy and C Stearn are doing the Premiere of Allegro Brillante and V Part/M Gomes are doing the Swan Lake opening night.

WOW, Washington is getting the Part/Gomes/Hallberg Swan Lake we in NY were denied last season. This might actually necessitate a quick trip to DC! I would definitely do it if it were a Sat performance, Friday means that I'd have to take a day off of work. That makes it more difficult, but still possible...

WOW, Washington is getting the Part/Gomes/Hallberg Swan Lake we in NY were denied last season. This might actually necessitate a quick trip to DC! I would definitely do it if it were a Sat performance, Friday means that I'd have to take a day off of work. That makes it more difficult, but still possible...

and we won't be getting it this spring either--I think I might do the same!

(though to be fair I enjoyed the Part/Hallberg/Gomes one of last year, and am looking fwd to the Part/Bolle one of the upcoming season!)

........ The casting is now in the Kennedy Center website.D Simkin and S Lane are doing the 2 Flame Of Paris PDD. G Murphy and C Stearn are doing the Premiere of Allegro Brillante and V Part/M Gomes are doing the Swan Lake opening night.

No more. The casting was removed yesterday or today (since I last checked for any updates/changes). I wonder what this may mean? They'd better not change the Part/Gomes/Hallberg casting for Swan Lake on the 20th, that's all I have to say! :jawdrop:

Julie Kent was not listed on the earlier casting so her just-announced maternity leave should have nothing to do with whatever changes may be made.

I might be worrying needlessly, but since Russians seem determined to remove all mime from everything, I must ask: does Veronica Part perform Odette's mime speech in Act II? The reason for my question is that I am teaching it to my repertoire class and would like to take them to see ABT's performance. The only day they would be able to go is Friday, the day Part is dancing, and I want to make sure they get to see the mime.

I've never seen a ballerina in this production vary the staging. I admit, I have not seen all of ABT's O/Os, but I have seen Part. Your students will get the mime as McKenzie set it, and they will get it from an artist to whom the story itself is important.

Potentially OT:

I was thinking of going to see ABT in DC as we are not getting the Part/Gomes pairing this season in NY. Anyone have any recommendations for reasonable/decent places to stay in DC?

I'm also thinking of heading to DC to catch that, but it will be a last minute decision for me and if I decide to go I may take the bus back right after the performance. When I stay at a hotel I usually try to stay in Foggy Bottom, close to the GWU Metro stop so I can decide whether I'm in the mood to walk or just hop on the KC shuttle. I am usually able to find a room at $99 - $129 at one of the following hotels:

The River Inn

DoubleTree Guest Suites @ 801 New Hampshire

GWU Inn

One Washington Circle

Hotel Lombardy

All of them are fine, GWU, River Inn & the Doubletree are closest to the metro station

Susan

That will most likely be made public at the start of the run, when the Playbill is published. I am going to the opening night triple bill. If the Swan Lake casts are in the Playbill, I'll post them here. However, that won't be until the Tuesday in that week (3 days before the Part SWAN LAKE).

Above, I promised to post the Swan Lake Pas de Trois casting once I got the playbill. Here goes:

1. Friday, Feb 20 evening: Riccetto, Kajiya, Matthews

2. Sat, Feb 21 matinee: Copeland, Messmer, Lopez

3. Sat, Feb 21 evening: Lane, Boylston, Simkin

4. Sun, Feb 22 matinee: Pavam, Seo, Hoven

Thank you very much for the info, Natalia. Are any of those debuts (besides Simkin)?

Based on my memory of who I've seen, Copeland, Kajiya, Riccetto, Lane, Boylston, Pavam, Matthews, and Lopez have all done it before. I'm not sure about Simone Messmer, Hee Seo, and Blaine Hoven, although I suspect that Seo and Hoven have done it before.