This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where is Sofianne Sylvie?

whetherwax

I,ve just been re enjoying my lovely Het National Sleeping Beauty and marvelling at her technique and general sweetness and power. I also am bemused by the fact that she is so lovely to watch and yet has wide shoulders and large calf muscles - so nice to see someone who is not the conventional form dancing so brilliantly ( mind you I havent seen her in the flesh , maybe DVDs distort a little and she is really a typical ballerina shape.)

Anyway, I know she went to America but i wonder where she is now?

I,ve just been re enjoying my lovely Het National Sleeping Beauty and marvelling at her technique and general sweetness and power. I also am bemused by the fact that she is so lovely to watch and yet has wide shoulders and large calf muscles - so nice to see someone who is not the conventional form dancing so brilliantly ( mind you I havent seen her in the flesh , maybe DVDs distort a little and she is really a typical ballerina shape.)

Anyway, I know she went to America but i wonder where she is now?

She's currently a principal with San Francisco Ballet (Sofiane Sylve)

And she remains at SFB as of 2013. I happened upon this article about Sylve, and Patricia Neary - an interesting read:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B05E4DB173AF932A25751C0A9639C8B63

The article relates some information about Sylve's Balanchine abilities.

A seasoned entrant on the French junior ballet-competition circuit, Ms. Sylve had been snapped up at 14 by the Karlsruhe troupe. ''I was invited to stage a Balanchine evening,'' Ms. Neary recalled in a telephone interview from Los Angeles. ''Thank God Sofiane was there. She was a baby but had glorious technique. I cast her in everything: the lead in 'Allegro Brillante,' in 'Four Temperaments' and 'Who Cares?' It was unbelievable to see such maturity, musicality and natural ability. She carried the whole evening.''