This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hi everyone!no one had posted about this, so thought I should!

About 2 months ago, the Royal Swedish Ballet in Stockholm premiered a new full-lenht ballet, created on the company by Paris Opera balletmaster, and choreographer, Patrice Bart.

The ballet deals with the life of the swedish King Gustav III, and his personal life..... Gustav III was the founder of the Royal swedish ballet, and the royal swedish ballet school(amongst other things)....he did a lot for swedish cultural life in his lifetime!

The ballet is mostly as I said about his personal life. It's nown he had problems in his marriage, and a very strained realationship to his mother. There is also speculations about wether he was homosexual or not......but this providies for some spectalur and beautiful scenes and pas de deux. The ballet ends with the infamous murder at the masked ball at the old opera house in Stockholm!Yes he was murdered in the opera house he had founded!.....

The ballet uses music by Weber, and some passages are by J.M Krauss, Gustav III,s ow favourite composer. The choreography is beautiful, (think a lot of Balanchine with beautiful groups, and complicated arm movements for the corps), and some beautiful pas de deux(a la macmillan, cranko)! And the costumes are absolutely gorgeus, 18th century style!!:)

If you haven't had a chance to see it, they will run it again in September, October, at the start of the 2008-2009 season. There is also a review in Dance Europe, april issue. If you wish to now more, I can write a more detailed review later.........

xl JJ