This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sallie Wilson

i saw her dance in les sylphides once and she gave of course a very powerful performance as lizzie borden. what an awful loss. RIP.

I remember her Lizzie Borden and other roles and I will never forget them. An extraordinary dance actress and one of a very few in a classical ballet company that I would categorise as such. I treasure my memories of Sallie Wilson who I can still see in my mind's eye.

just came across this undate, uncredited photo of Wilson as "Elizabeth, Queen of England," probably taken on the occasion of the premiere of the Balanchine/Graham EPISODES in 1959, costume by Karinska.

post-848-1214595604_thumb.jpg

New York Theatre Ballet sent me this notice:

New York Theatre Ballet and American Ballet Theatre to co-host

Memorial Tribute to Sallie Wilson at ABT Nov 6 @ 6 pm

New York, NY-- New York Theatre Ballet and American Ballet Theatre will co-host a special memorial tribute for Sallie Wilson, NYTB's long-time ballet mistress and former ballerina for ABT, Thursday, November 6 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm @ ABT, 890 Broadway (at 19th Street), New York City.

Miss Wilson, who died in April, enjoyed a performing career that spanned 31 years and five continents. With American Ballet Theatre she was known as the foremost exponent of the ballets of Antony Tudor and Agnes de Mille, and she also danced the works of Fokine, Robbins, Balanchine, Tetley, Ross, Limon and Ailey, along with the Petipa classics in that repertoire. She spent two seasons with New York City Ballet performing in the ballets of Balanchine and Robbins; and she danced the role of Queen Elizabeth in the historic “Episodes,” choreographed by Martha Graham.

Following her retirement from the stage, Miss Wilson taught ballet at NYTB’s training school, Ballet School NY. Earlier this year she staged widely-praised revivals of Tudor’s “Jardin aux Lilas,” “Little Improvisations” and “Judgment of Paris” for New York Theatre Ballet’s Signature 08 programs.

Please RSVP to Roseanne Forni (212) 477-3030 or go to memorial@abt.org

# # #