This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MCB Program IV.

Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County

Ziff Ballet Opera House

March 28-30, 2008

Friday, Mar. 28 at 7:30p.m.

Saturday, Mar. 29 at 8p.m.

Sunday, Mar. 30 at 2p.m.

PROGRAMME:

"Square Dance". Balanchine/Vivaldi-Corelli.

"Sonatine". Balanchine/Ravel

"Tarantella". Balanchine/Gottschalk

and

World Premiere of "Nightspot". Twyla Tharp/Elvis Costello

Christian,

Thanks for the heads up! Will you be going to the Miami performances? Unfortunately I am unable to go so I hope other MCB fans will report in. As you reported, as on their website, it shows that they will be performing

"Sonatine". Balanchine/Ravel. The Coral Gables Gazette reports that they are doing all that you mentioned but with Christopher Wheeldon's Liturgy and no mention of "Sonatine"? Is "Liturgy" replacing "Sonatine"?http://cggazette.com/absolutenm/templates/...62&zoneid=1

Anyone going to the opening night parties after the performance?

Christian,

Thanks for the heads up! Will you be going to the Miami performances?

Yes, cahill, i will be there tomorrow night, if i can make it thru the traffic. ( The'll start at 7:30, and getting out of work at 7 to get to the Center on time from North Miami Beach takes implies some stress, not to mention the Winter Music Conference traffic going on...)

Unfortunately I am unable to go

:thumbsup:

I hope other MCB fans will report in.

I will, and will try to do it ASAP...

Is "Liturgy" replacing "Sonatine"?

:bow: ...i REALLY hope is not :angry2:

Anyone going to the opening night parties after the performance?

...don't think so. DJ Guetta will be spinning at Cameo 'till sunday morning...! :wink:

I will be anxious to hear your thoughts on the program. With respect to the following

"...don't think so. DJ Guetta will be spinning at Cameo 'till sunday morning."

not understanding the young folks diction and the Miami scene, I can only say "what????"

Liturgy was listed in the pre-season programming and until fairly recently. I assumed, when I saw Sonatine, that it was a substitute. I haven't seen this for a long, long time and have been musing on the best possible casting for the Verdy role. Liturgy was done only last year and didn't have the chance to make much of an impression.

I should also repeat that the same program -- along with big fund-raising parties, etc. -- moves on to MCB's other regular venues (and honorary "home towns"):

Kravis Center, West Palm Beach, 4 performances, April 4-6.

Broward Center, Fort Lauderdale, 4 performances, April 11-13.

I'll be at the Kravis for at least 3 performances, and I assume that Jack Reed will be attending at the Broward. It would be fun to see the rest of you in Miami, but it's a long drive at a crazy time of the year for traffic.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach corridor is pretty much one long urban area extending 90 or 100 miles along the Atlantic coast. The main north-south road connectors are the I-95 and the Florida Turnpike. MCB's studios are in Miami Beach. It is a resident company at the Arsht (formerly Carnival) Center in Miami. It rents, I believe, at the Broward (which has no resident ballet company) and at the Kravis (where the resident company is Ballet Florida). Usually the "opening" is in Miami, but occasionally -- depending on scheduling -- it is in West Palm or Lauderdale. Thre is one Board, withrepresenttives from all three communities.

This multi-theater arrangement is similar to the one recently adopted by the new Los Angeles Ballet, partly as a way to cope with the huge size of the urban area and the lack of one central downtown at which all area balletomanes could be expected to congregate.

Cristian -- or whoever gets to it first -- how about starting a thread on the "Ballet Performances" forum after you've seen the program? The Kravis and Broward contingents can just add to that as we get the opportunity. And we can ask questions while waiting for the show to move on to us! :thumbsup:

Alas, things are piling up here at home for me, and the lengthy Tharp/ Costello novelty doesn't draw me as strongly as most Balanchine, not to mention that Tarantella is not one of my top favorites, so, all things considered, I'm sitting this one out. If I lived in south Florida, it would be a different story. (So why don't I? I'm chicken on hurricanes, that's why!)

I saw the MCB third cast do Sonatine when it just been set on them by Verdy and Bonnefous, BTW, and it looked like the old days! Really astonishing, a little delight! So enjoy, and post, and make me eat my heart out...

Edited by Jack Reed

I'm sorry we will be missing your voice, Jack.

I saw the MCB third cast do Sonatine when it just been set on them by Verdy and Bonnefous, BTW, and it looked like the old days! Really astonishing, a little delight! So enjoy, and post, and make me eat my heart out...
The original MCB presentatiions of quite a bit of Balanchine were set by major dancers from Mr. B's day -- Farrell, Verdy, etc., etc.. And, of course, Villella was there with NYCB for the performance of all of them, and the creation of many.

I know that MCB continues to work with the Balanchine Trust, but I don't know whether they still bring in the major former stars. Does anyone have published information on who is helping them prepare this program?