This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York Theatre Ballet Celebrates 100th B'day of Tudor, Limón

From the company:

NEW YORK THEATRE BALLET CELEBRATES 100TH BIRTHDAY OF TUDOR & LIMÓN

***Tudor classics Jardin aux Lilas, Little Improvisations, and Judgment of Paris

Staged by renowned interpreter Sallie Wilson***

New York, NY – New York Theatre Ballet celebrates the 100-year anniversary of the births of legendary choreographers Antony Tudor and José Limón in Signatures 08: A Celebration of Legends & Visionaries Friday & Saturday, February 8 & 9 @ 7:30 pm at Florence Gould Hall, 55 East 59th Street (between Park and Madison avenues). The program features Tudor's Jardin aux Lilas, Little Improvisations and Judgment of Paris, along with Limón's Mazurkas.

New York Theatre Ballet is the only company in the world that's been collaborating for several years with renowned Tudor interpreter Sallie Wilson to faithfully restore his seldom-performed, small classic masterworks to his original vision. She is one of very few ballerinas who worked closely with Antony Tudor when he was principal choreographer of American Ballet Theatre in the mid-20th century. His teachings provided her with a lasting influence and inspiration, and she was praised as a leading dancer in his ballets throughout her 30-year career. Before Mr. Tudor's death in 1987, he entrusted Ms. Wilson with the care of these works, and she is widely considered by dance critics and aficionados to be the leading steward of his legacy.

Mazurkas is staged by Sarah Stackhouse, who was a principal dancer and partner to Mr. Limón from 1958 to 1969. Twenty years later she returned to the Limón Dance Company and revived several of his works, including Mazurkas – a tribute to the heroic spirit of the Polish people – which was choreographed in 1958 as a dramatic sequence of dances set to Chopin's music. Ms. Stackhouse has taught the Limón technique at the Juilliard School and the American Dance Festival and has set his work on companies throughout the world.

Tickets for Signatures 08: A Celebration of Legends & Visionaries are $20 and can be purchased at www.nytb.org or by calling Ticketmaster at 212-307-4100. Tickets can also be purchased at the Florence Gould Hall Box Office (212-355-6160) Tuesday through Friday from 12 noon – 7pm and on Saturday from 12 noon to 4pm.

# # #

:) I'm envious.

Here's an interesting thread from 2006 that discussed possibilities for a Tudor centenary celebration.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/lofiver...php/t23631.html

Helene suggested Lilac Garden. Richard53dog suggested Judgment of Paris (I'd love to see that one again). No one suggested Little Improvisations. Can anyone tell us about Little Improvisations?

Little improvisations is a pas de deux. Basically, in this duet, choreographed in 1953, adult dancers pretend to be children playing games to Robert Schumann's "Kinderscenen" (Op. 15).

I'll be there and hope other Ballet Talkers will consider going. I worked for several years with Christina Paolucci Duncan, the Associate AD, and have the highest regard for her.

I won't be there (well, never say never) but I bet I'll be the ONLY BTer who will be at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA to see their reconstruction of Tudor's Continuo, as reported in Feb. 3's Links (also here: http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all-f-t...0,2319099.story.

As Brecht writes in Mahagony, "Oh don't ask why."

If I'm up to it and not sidetracked by other things, I'll report back.