This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nobel Prize Gala ballet

Further to Dirac's posting on Links about the Royal Swedish Ballet appearing at the gala.

Well, I saw it televised, wish I had been there...

During an intermission - the banquet is a three hour affair - there is always some kind of divertissement on the magnificent marble staircase in the Town Hall. Some years it has been really unsuitable stuff for the occasion - well, I think this year was no exception.

Dont misunderstand me now, the Pippi Longstocking ballet which I admittedly have only seen excerpts of, is great fun and a wonderful matine show for younger children as they are so familiar with the story. But this was not the right venue as the average age of the guests must be over 60.

That is not to say that it was not very well done by the opera dancers. Pippi herself - danced by Anna Valev who was perfect for the part. Mr. Nilsson, the monkey was very cute and so was the horse done by two dancers. Must be awfully hard to do the rear end!

But to my mind, what made it so touching was that at last Astrid Lindgren was honored in this way. For many years one had hoped that she would get the Nobel Prize for litterature, but no way. Now it is too late as the prize can only be given to living authors.

Dont misunderstand me now, the Pippi Longstocking ballet which I admittedly have only seen excerpts of, is great fun and a wonderful matine show for younger children as they are so familiar with the story. But this was not the right venue as the average age of the guests must be over 60.

Don't underestimate the power of Pippi Longstocking! I'm over 60 and always think of her fondly. She was the character that told me, as a child, that one had to be strong to be different, and that it was a perfectly wonderful thing to be!

I'm glad that she has her own ballet.