This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Florida, Program One: works by Caniparoli

bart

Ballet Florida's first program of the season opens at the Eissey Campus Theatre, Palm Beach Gardens, this coming week. All 3 pieces are revivals from last season.

Here's a Preview Article by Sharon McDaniel in the Palm Beach Post:

A New Season for Ballet Florida!

Program:

-- Act II, "Lady of the Camellias," choreography: Val Caniparoli. Music: a compilation of mostly early Chopin.

-- "Pluck," choreography: Trey McIntyre. Music: Ravel's String Quartet in F Major.

-- and an old company stand-by, "Percussion for Six Men," choreography: Vicente Nebrada. Music: Lee Gurst, performed live and on stage.

Dates and Times: Friday Nov. 2 (8:00 pm); Saturday, Nov. 3 (2 pm and 8 pm) and Sunday, Nov. 4 (2 pm)

McDaniel writes, about "Lady of the Camellias":

It's hard to believe that this deamy beauty is young choreographer Val Caniparoli's first full-length ballet. And it's partly ours: Premiered in 1994, Camellias was co-produced by Boston Ballet, Ballet West (Salt Lake City) and Ballet Florida

For me, the charming, flowing, and well-constructed McIntyre piece, comissioned by Ballet Florida and first performed at the larger Kravis Theater last February, is the one to watch most closely. It's also the piece that has, in the past, drew the highest quality dancing from the company.

Program:

-- Act II, "Lady of the Camellias," choreography: Val Caniparoli. Music: a compilation of mostly early Chopin.

"McDaniel writes, about "Lady of the Camellias":

It's hard to believe that this deamy beauty is young choreographer Val Caniparoli's first full-length ballet. And it's partly ours: Premiered in 1994, Camellias was co-produced by Boston Ballet, Ballet West (Salt Lake City) and Ballet Florida

For me, the charming, flowing, and well-constructed McIntyre piece, comissioned by Ballet Florida and first performed at the larger Kravis Theater last February, is the one to watch most closely. It's also the piece that has, in the past, drew the highest quality dancing from the company.

Oh I'd like to see the "Lady of the Camelias" by Caniparoli so much!It's wonderful.A brillant choreography and an intense dramatic story.I remember Lucia Lacarra dancing it.It's a big match between Caniparoli's and Neumeier's version.I don't know which one i like most...