This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Report: Nilas Martins arrested

PI - Personal Injury. They specialize in pursuing cases for plaintiffs. It's a different mentality and practice than a criminal defense attorney. (I come from a family of lawyers - barely escaped it myself)
In fact, they gave you the monogram: LAW. You didn't escape completely. :D

The Bar's loss is the barre's gain.

Sorry.

PI - Personal Injury. They specialize in pursuing cases for plaintiffs. It's a different mentality and practice than a criminal defense attorney. (I come from a family of lawyers - barely escaped it myself)

Thanks, Leigh. Having such a lawyer in a case like this certainly seems misguided.

Facts on the arrest and the charges are beginning to trickle in. Here's the (New York) DailyNews.com, from dirac's LINKS today:

Martins was charged with fifth-degree drug possession and released after posting $5,000 bail.

The maximum sentence for the felony is 2-1/3 to seven years in prison, but Saratoga County District Attorney Jim Murphy doubted the dancer would face serious time.

"The statute requires a certain quantity of alleged cocaine, and it's very close," he said. "If there's not enough, it could be reduced to a misdemeanor."

The white powder was sent to a crime lab in Albany for testing. It will take two or three weeks to get the results, the DA said.

Everyone interested should check out today's Links for other reports - http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...mp;#entry207565. It's interesting how inconsistent they are. Apparently some reporters DO get better stories, and more quickly, than others.

IF this case makes it to trial, then a charge of "possession with intent to sell" becomes very weak with the lack of someone charged with "loitering with intent to purchase". A defense could start one of its points from there. Possession 5 is all that is alleged at this time, and it doesn't sound like the County Attorney is all choked up about mounting a prosecution. It might not even make it out of the grand jury room as a felony.

Also, remember, that in the US we don't use the "solicitor/barrister" system as in the UK and some other nations, but it is far from unusual to retain an initial counsel, and then take on additional counsel as needed.

I'm still with the "presumption of innocence" crowd. Trial by press or water cooler is far from binding.

Facts on the arrest and the charges are beginning to trickle in. Apparently some reporters DO get better stories, and more quickly, than others.

Of all that I've read so far--in the Albany and Saratoga papers, the Daily News and Post, and the brief paragraph in the New York Times, the best and most accurate account was in the Daily News. For one thing, they were the only paper to get Peter Martins's title correct, silly though it is -- Ballet Master in Chief. The others, including the NY Times, had it as Master in Chief which sounds like a retired commodore. The News also seemed to know more about Amar

Ramasar, including that he's from the Bronx.

I just hope if the amount is crucial for so minor an offense, that it really is under the limit and they let it go as a misdemeanour with little or no punishment.. Unless the police are lying about an attempt to shuffle it under the car seat, it's likely that the cocaine itself, at least, was guilty. I don't have much sympathy with these absurd laws for such minor and commonplace acts (whatever they may be exactly), and any of the possibilities of what exactly was happening goes on so often that it's just a matter of bad luck more than anything. But Americans may still be like they were when Joycelyn Elders was fired partially for having the gall to suggest legalization of drugs. Even the Clintons couldn't manage all that good sense, so back to Arkansas she went.

I hadn't read till today the NYTimes Alastair Macauley published July 1, in which Nilas Martins gets some of the most truly brutal raking over the coals--comparisons with other fellow dancers not withheld with even slight mercy--that I've ever seen. What he says about Kistler's 'Serenade' was pretty apparent as far back as 2004, but the case of Nilas the dancer seemed almost to have finally come to a head in that wrap-up of the spring NYCB season. I find Nilas almost always uninteresting as a dancer, and many others have said the same, so this is not really surprising--but it's sadder in his case than what Macauley said about Darci, because she really used to be great, and last year I thought she really shone in 'Liebeslieder'. It's sad because although apprehended at 1:23 a.m. Tuesday, that's practically speaking still Monday night, so only a day after such a critical bludgeoning. On the other hand, I don't know how seriously dancers follow their critics; it must surely vary. But it's pretty clear that the career of Nilas Martins has not equalled that of his father and of many of his fellow NYCB dancers, so this is serious depression-inducing stuff, I'd imagine. People were talking about worrying about 'what this might do to career' in the case of Ramasar. I don't think it will affect either career, providing Nilas gets off as I hope he will. Nobody cares about this kind of thing--when drugs have been known to be used by dancers, nobody has deserted them--'Dancing on My Grave' had a lot of talk about cocaine, as I recall. And Peter Martins went full speed ahead, with or without popularity at BT and other venues, after doing something that was actually far worse, but I don't know about legally so--ugly marital altercations aren't the same as illegal substances.

Also, it getting in the papers is not going to make any difference, and I wouldn't say there is even the slightest resemblance to Paris Hilton's publicity and celebrity. In contemporary terms, there's not a single famous dancer at NYCB--they are famous in the dance realm and other elitist art realms, but even a totally ascendant brilliant star like Ashley Bouder, who is going straight to the top, is not going to be really famous in the literal sense. Nureyev, Fonteyn and Baryshnikov were probably as famous as dancers are going to get. Nilas Martins is not famous.

Patrick, 499 milligrams, and the charge is Possession 7. That's a class-A misdemeanor, and subject to considerably lesser penalties. In NYS, a "crime" is defined, on one level, as anything for which a prison term of longer than a year is authorized. And a misdemeanor can involve imprisonment for up to only one year. If the prosecutor isn't hot to trot to the grand jury for a bill of felony, things could simplify right there.

Unless the police are lying about an attempt to shuffle it under the car seat, it's likely that the cocaine itself, at least, was guilty. I don't have much sympathy with these absurd laws for such minor and commonplace acts (whatever they may be exactly), and any of the possibilities of what exactly was happening goes on so often that it's just a matter of bad luck more than anything

Yes, I especially liked all the solemn cop talk about 'securing the baggie.' Your tax dollars at work, folks. That said -- the law's the law.

Also, it getting in the papers is not going to make any difference, and I wouldn't say there is even the slightest resemblance to Paris Hilton's publicity and celebrity. In contemporary terms, there's not a single famous dancer at NYCB--they are famous in the dance realm and other elitist art realms, but even a totally ascendant brilliant star like Ashley Bouder, who is going straight to the top, is not going to be really famous in the literal sense. Nureyev, Fonteyn and Baryshnikov were probably as famous as dancers are going to get. Nilas Martins is not famous.

Quite so.

The New York Post today is quoting the Saratoga County DA's office as stating that Nilas Martins will most likely not face jail time:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07072007/news/...rrespondent.htm

The New York City Ballet dancer busted for cocaine possession will likely face only probation and a stint in rehab, prosecutors said yesterday.

Because the arrest is principal dancer Nilas Martins' first and he cooperated with authorities, Saratoga County District Attorney James Murphy said a deal will probably be hammered out.

'Martins - whose father is the ballet's mercurial master-in-chief, Peter Martins'

Well, Farrell Fan has the better taste, because I love it when journalists can't control themselves like this, and with the hyphens it's even more absurd. But I especially want to know precisely what he meant by mercurial. I want all possible meanings and innuendos, if any. I don't know that there is any ballet called 'Mercury', but there probably should be. Also pretty good is referring to NYCB as 'the ballet's...', when 'City Ballet's' was not going to take up that much space. This way you could almost imagine Lovett means an individual work.

Anyway, that's good news about the likely outcome, thanks, Mme. Hermine. I don't know many of the basics of the law, so is a 'not guilty' plea something you would always do even if you end up doing this sort of 'hammered out deal' which includes 'rehab'. I suppose the attorney advises that this is the better route.

Mme. Hermine--'New York City Ballet' was used only once in the beginning of the article, so it would have not been overdoing to just say 'City Ballet's' once more toward the end, but this is not a very formal sort of thing; anyway, it's not important--sloppiness in the New York Post is expected, and it's not even offensive. They have to dash things off. In any case, :D I found that there was a real Mercury Ballet, and Jennifer Dunning wrote about them in 1982:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...agewanted=print

"People who attend the ballet don't want to deal with controversy, and the appropriate decision was to move on without him," Jones said.

We could really nitpick and say that this sentence, which precedes the one about 'the ballet's mercurial...' uses 'the ballet' to mean 'any and all ballet'. If they don't want to 'deal with controversy', it just coincides with the fact that it's New York City Ballet here, because 'people who attend the ballet' refers to any balletgoers anywhere before it does NYCB, whereas the following use of 'the ballet's..' does refer to the New York City Ballet. But this was for the Post just a little throwaway piece.

You are correct. Our Communications Office, which is in Albany, has a living horror of the same noun, verb, adjective, or adverb being within the same paragraph, or even about 80 words of one another. And Farrell Fan is right, "master-in-chief" does sound rather nautical. A "Master Chief" is a very senior Non-Commissioned Officer in the Navy.

'Martins - whose father is the ballet's mercurial master-in-chief, Peter Martins'

It could be an oblique reference to the fact that Martins created a character called Mercutio in Romeo + Juliet. Or maybe it is not.

Well, I'm glad he is likely to get off with little more than a slap on the wrist. But I hope if he has a substance problem, and if it's related to his not very well received efforts at NYCB, that he takes serious steps to resolve both those things.

But I especially want to know precisely what he meant by mercurial. I want all possible meanings and innuendos, if any.

I think this is just the Daily News trying to expand its readership. Having attracted the ballet audience to their readership with this scoop, they want to keep us by pandering to our sophistication by alluding to Giovanni da Bologna's sculpture Mercury that perhaps inspired Carlo Blassis's attitude.

The Post has been having trouble determining the master-in-chief's character. The other day, the adjective of choice was "imperious," bringing to mind someone domineering or even dictatorial. At least "mercurial" has connotations of "the artistic temperament." I think of Orson Welles's "Mercury Radio Theater."

But I hope if he has a substance problem, and if it's related to his not very well received efforts at NYCB, that he takes serious steps to resolve both those things.

And if he doesn't, rehab is going to be a useless exercise (but better than the alternative).