This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I saw Part 1 yesterday and I am delighted that I have tickets for Parts 2 and 3. Part 1 covers the years 1833 to 1844, and all the political undercurrents Russia was experiencing at that time are thrown at you rapidly--the quote in the Program from 'The Tempest' sums it up --"How did we become the Caliban of Europe?" I like the way one critic put it (Peter Marks, Wash.Post): "...theatregoers have to take it on faith that investing time in Part 1 will lead to more substantial profit in Parts 2 and 3." This is what I felt while watching it. There is a lot to absorb; but it does settle in. Billy Crudup deserves every bit of the praise he has received for his portrayal of Belinsky. The Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center is one of my favorites--it is a very broad theater and the stage action spills in to the audience. The staging is sumptuous---and I am haunted by the setting of the Gentry in their finery dining at a glittering feast while a small army of serfs standing absolutely still watches them from behind a scrim....

I saw Part 1 yesterday and I am delighted that I have tickets for Parts 2 and 3. Part 1 covers the years 1833 to 1844, and all the political undercurrents Russia was experiencing at that time are thrown at you rapidly--the quote in the Program from 'The Tempest' sums it up --"How did we become the Caliban of Europe?" I like the way one critic put it (Peter Marks, Wash.Post): "...theatregoers have to take it on faith that investing time in Part 1 will lead to more substantial profit in Parts 2 and 3." This is what I felt while watching it. There is a lot to absorb; but it does settle in. Billy Crudup deserves every bit of the praise he has received for his portrayal of Belinsky. The Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center is one of my favorites--it is a very broad theater and the stage action spills in to the audience. The staging is sumptuous---and I am haunted by the setting of the Gentry in their finery dining at a glittering feast while a small army of serfs standing absolutely still watches them from behind a scrim....

Thank you for reporting back, atm711. I enjoyed reading this. Please let us know how things proceed!

I saw "Voyage," the first play, in February--I thought the production and staging were gorgeous and I enjoyed the play. But I did find it overly expository without the exposition being particularly substantive or daring. Nor did I think all the exposition was necessary even though I know very little about this period in Russian history. A key problem for me was that Stoppard seems incapable of taking the philosophical passions of his characters seriously, while his satire of those passions isn't all that insightful or funny. (I suppose that to satirize them effectively, one would have to take them seriously.)

I also found much of the acting overly emphatic. Admitedly I haven't been to the theater much in recent years, so perhaps I've lost the feel, or even the taste, for theatrical acting. However, Richard Easton, the actor who played Bakunin's father gave a very moving performance. (Easton suffered a heart attack during previews, but returned later to the run-- very fortunately.) I did think the play had a number of emotionally touching moments especially as each act drew to a close and I'm guessing the whole trilogy gathers emotional if not intellectual steam.

As historical reflection, I prefer the crazed fantasy of, say,Stoppard's "Travesties" to "Voyage" which is not quite fantasy and not quite history either. That said, I did not feel my time was wasted and if I had the chance might well try to see the rest of the trilogy out of curiousity if nothing else.

A key problem for me was that Stoppard seems incapable of taking the philosophical passions of his characters seriously, while his satire of those passions isn't all that insightful or funny. (I suppose that to satirize them effectively, one would have to take them seriously.)

Thanks for posting, Drew. A very interesting point, and although I haven’t seen or read the trilogy it sounds plausible in light of some of Stoppard’s other work.