This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New ballet master in Gothenburg

Kenneth Irving's contract at the Gothenburg Opera is ending with this season.

There are four candidates, all secret so far. Yet it has leaked that one, the Finnish choreographer Jorma Outinen has withdrawn. It has also leaked that the new ballet director is male and Swedish. Who can it be?

Well, it can hardly get worse than it already is. Their latest offering, something called "Body + Soul" was not particularly well received, one critic used words like "amateurish" and "end of term display". :dry::huh:

Well, now we know!

The new director at the Gothenburg Ballet will be Johannes Öhman.

I am afraid to say that I have never seen him live, only on TV. He is young, very young, late twenties or very early thirties I believe.

At the moment he is first soloist at the Stockholm Opera and also artistic director of an independent company called "Stockholm 59 degrees North" which performs contemporary works.

Can one possibly hope for something classical in the future?

According to press release, Mr. Öhman will take up his post as from 1 July, but Kenneth Irving has set the program for the entire year which includes the fall season. Mr. Öhman has said though, that he wants more full length works. He also wants more young people in the audience, but they all say that. That is all the info at hand, one shall simply have to wait and see.

According to press release, Mr. Öhman will take up his post as from 1 July, but Kenneth Irving has set the program for the entire year which includes the fall season. Mr. Öhman has said though, that he wants more full length works. He also wants more young people in the audience, but they all say that. That is all the info at hand, one shall simply have to wait and see.

Johannes Ohman is in his late thirties and will be taking on 6 new dancers for next season.