This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

But what about Prince Siegfried??

But aren't we lucky to have him in our time and place!

we certainly are, as is ABT (especially the ladies of ABT!) :clapping:

I have to say I am loving this appreciation of him. Given that, as admitted earlier, he isnt the dancer with the most explosive pyrotechnics, he's the kind of dancer who could perhaps have been somewhat overlooked.

But the fact that people appreciate him is really heartening to those who value artistry over flash. Not to say he doesn't have charisma--i think his von rothbart is breathtaking and am sorry he won't be doing that this season, though his siegfried is certainly good compensation :clapping:

But aren't we lucky to have him in our time and place!

I have to say I am loving this appreciation of him. Given that, as admitted earlier, he isnt the dancer with the most explosive pyrotechnics, he's the kind of dancer who could perhaps have been somewhat overlooked.

But the fact that people appreciate him is really heartening to those who value artistry over flash.

He certainly seems to value artistry over flash as his dancing is always in good taste.

I always like Nicolai Fadeyechev and Maris Liepa of the Bolshoi in the Gorskized version done in the 50s and 60s. They got much longer variations than in other versions. It used the whole male variation from the 1877 version with the violin solo to start and finished with a fairly extended coda. If I recall correctly, Siegfried started with a combination of steps around the stage which always had a double cabriole back in every "turn" in the melody. I used to try to do it. Thought I was gonna die!

I agree with Mel, Nikolay Fadeechev from Bolshoy and, before him Konstantin Sergeev from Mariinsky were outstanding Siegfrieds.

I'd like Helene idea, that Siegfried run to the lake, because he strucked by the mother's plans about wedding.

Now, anybody can explain to me, why Siegfried, if he really felt in love with Odette, left the lake without her? Or, at least, didn't invite her to the party? Why he didn't tell to the mother about Odette?

Well, he leaves the lake without Odette because she has to go back to her day job, and as for his mother, she's already told him she doesn't like him hanging out with commoners. Can you imagine her reaction to, "Mom, I've met this girl...who works as part-time poultry."

My favorite Siegfried ever was Rolando Sarabia back in the 90's at the Ballet Nacional de Cuba. Back then he had a magnificent and powerful stage presence, and an innate "royal look" that was sometimes quite hard to maintain in an equal level by his Odette/Odile . He designed the character in such a strong manly way that it was particulary lovely to see him falling in love in Act II. It was like, "Wow, finally somebody has got him, ah?" :clapping: