This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Salstein promoted to ABT soloist

From the company:

CRAIG SALSTEIN PROMOTED TO SOLOIST

WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Craig Salstein has been promoted to the rank of Soloist with American Ballet Theatre effective March 1, 2007, it was announced today by Kevin McKenzie, Artistic Director.

Born in Miami, Florida, Salstein began his training at the Ballet Academy of Miami at the age of eight and continued his training with the Miami City Ballet. In 1995, he was the Grand Champion of Ed McMahon’s Star Search on television. He trained with The Joffrey Ballet, the School of American Ballet and American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Intensive as a National Training Scholar. In 1999, he joined Miami City Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet.

Salstein joined American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company in 2000 and was promoted to the corps de ballet of ABT in April 2002. Salstein’s repertory with the Company includes the Bronze Idol and the Head Fakir in La Bayadère, the first sailor in Fancy Free, the peasant pas de deux in Giselle, the Joker in Jeu de Cartes, the Beggar Chief in Manon, the Nutcracker-Prince in The Nutcracker, a Groom in Petrouchka, Bernard and the Saracen Dancer in Raymonda, the Champion Roper in Rodeo, Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet, the Neapolitan Dance in Swan Lake, Eros and a Goat in Sylvia, the Devil in Three Virgins and a Devil and leading roles in Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes, Glow – Stop, Gong, In the Upper Room, Sechs Tänze, Sinfonietta and Symphonic Variations. He created the role of Sin in Sin and Tonic, a leading role in Within You Without You: A Tribute to George Harrison and a featured role in Concerto No. 1 for Piano and Orchestra.

Great news, and I think we saw it coming through his casting of late. I'll be the first, but I'm sure not the last, to say I'm a little curious about the lack of female promotions. At this point, I would love to see the corps ladies enter a POB-style concours for soloist spots. Either that or find a way to shrink myself and sprout wings so I can be the fly on the wall of Kevin McKenzie's office.