This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

HAPPY 2007 TO EVERYBODY!! :thumbsup:

and let's start listening to the music and, of course, watching ballet:

Maestro Zubin Mehta, who for decades has been a major international conductor and since 2001 an Honorary Member of the Vienna Philharmonic, will conduct the annual New Year's Concert from the Musikverein in Vienna on January 1, 2007. It will be the fourth time, after 1990, 1995 und 1998, for Mehta to lead the orchestra in this special musical event.

Once again this concert will be broadcast live on television, so that millions of viewers around the world can also experience this traditional New Year's greeting from Vienna. The locations for the performances by the ballet of the Vienna State Opera and Volksopera, with Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre as guest soloists, will be Schloss Hof, recently restored to its original condition, and Schloss Schönbrunn. Responsible for the choreography is the former principal dancer of the Vienna State Opera, Christian Tichy. Brian Large is the camera director, and Agnes Meth is the director for the "Blue Danube" Waltz, which will be danced live.

click here for more

HAPPY 2007 TO EVERYBODY!! :thumbsup:

and let's start listening to the music and, of course, watching ballet:

Maestro Zubin Mehta, who for decades has been a major international conductor and since 2001 an Honorary Member of the Vienna Philharmonic, will conduct the annual New Year's Concert from the Musikverein in Vienna on January 1, 2007. It will be the fourth time, after 1990, 1995 und 1998, for Mehta to lead the orchestra in this special musical event.

Once again this concert will be broadcast live on television, so that millions of viewers around the world can also experience this traditional New Year's greeting from Vienna. The locations for the performances by the ballet of the Vienna State Opera and Volksopera, with Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre as guest soloists, will be Schloss Hof, recently restored to its original condition, and Schloss Schönbrunn. Responsible for the choreography is the former principal dancer of the Vienna State Opera, Christian Tichy. Brian Large is the camera director, and Agnes Meth is the director for the "Blue Danube" Waltz, which will be danced live.

click here for more

I have been watching these broadcast since they started. The dance content has not aways been very special but Vladimir Malakhov's appearance on a number of occasions made it an almost 'must watch'

occasion for ballet enthusiasts.

I personally find the music as uplifting as a glass of very good champagne and wondering why more of the music is not choreographed, at least for a 'piece d'occasion'

We were told in the BBCTV broadcast that the concert reached a world wide audience of a billion. What a marvellous thought.

Did anybody attend this live? I wish I could attend, but tickets cost 650€, if you can get one, that is. That wonderful old concert hall only seats about a thousand - I have been there for an ordinary concert and it is really awesome.

Today's concert was good, they played some fairly rare Strauss pieces, conductor was Zubin Metha.

The dancing, which is only for television viewers, was very good. Those lucky ones at the actual concert could admire the spectacular flower arrangements in stead. The same people of San Remo in Italy do the flower arrangements for the Swedish Nobel ceremony.

The soloists this year were Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre doing a Viennese waltz - she was just beautiful, floating around in a lovely long dress in an authentic ball room.

I have watched all the concerts since the beginning in, I think 1959. The standard of the music has always been high, but in the beginning the dance was - I will be kind here - somewhat amateurish. A few years back they started to engage world stars, last year it was Daria Pavlenko if memory serves. :thumbsup::)

I asked a colleague who knows the company well if he could identify the dancers and he responded:

The first sequence, Waltz in a Castle Courtyard, featured Dagmar Kronberger and Eno Peci; the other more prominent pair was Mihail Sosnovschi and Maria Yakoleva. The first three have been demisoloists in Vienna for a while. Yakoleva recently arrived in the Vienna company from the Maryinsky.

The waltzers of On the Beautiful Blue Danube were guests Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre as the principal pair and, as the secondary, Olga Esina (also a recent arrival from the Maryinsky) and longtime Vienna soloist Wolfgang Grascher.

The choreographer was Christian Tichy.

I did not pay close attention to this but I would glance up from time to time to watch the dancing (I was trying to read through some notes at the same time-bad idea), and it appeared to me that when the dancers were outside the ladies were dancing on concrete on pointe! I thought this would shred their shoes?? I dance on pointe, and I scratch the platforms of my pointe shoes on concrete sometimes to be able to cut the satin off because I prefer that and it doesn't take much scratching to get a hole started on the platform...now the canvas underneath the satin may be more durable, but I have not tried to remove that. I wear grishkos but who knows what type of pointe shoes they wear in Vienna! They even turned/pirouetted on what appeared to be concrete, which looked dangerous to me because it had seams or looked like it was laid like tile.

Once again it is so wonderful to be able to find a thread on Ballet Talk about just about anything related to ballet!

I do not agree!!! I would rather dance on carpet than on concrete... It is like dancing on a cushion, it doesn't hurt!!!

Well, I started watching the concert when the Beautiful Blue Danube started. The choreography, in my opinion, was not at the same level on every track. Sometimes, when the four couples of the corps danced together, it was a little confusing.

Lucía Lacarra has a superb style, but I don't know if she abuses of her hyperextension.... The costumes were very elegant, but I didn't like the way the ballerinas arranged their hair. Specially, Lucía, she wear those horrible little hairs on her forehead (I don't know how to say that in English).