This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious about opinions on the current version of Les Mis that's in New York right now (http://www.broadway.com/gen/Show.aspx?si=1251). My wife loves this musical, and neither of us have been to NY, so I've been considering surprising her with a trip out there to see this show (she has seen it at least 3 times here in the Twin Cities). She's also pregnant right now, so I'm guessing our chances to travel will be more limited in the near future. So I may do this anyway, just to do it before we have a child.

So, with that said, aside from opinions on Les Mis, anyone have any suggestions on travelling to NY for the first time (I know...quite vague, but I don't know what to ask yet)?? It would probably only be a weekend thing.

Thanks!!!

Mike

That sounds like a lovely idea, mnclimber, and congratulations on your expectations!

I'm on the west coast and can't contribute much information of value, but perhaps others will have suggestions. Also, in the past we've had several threads in various forums regarding travel tips, such as this one. A search using various keywords, such as 'New York,' 'travel,' 'hotel,' or 'restaurant' might also be productive. I hope you both can make it, and that you'll report back if you do. Good luck!

Most of what I've heard so far about this production center on Daphne Rubin-Vega's portrayal of Fantine, which is not for everyone (to put it mildly). Her voice is not what most people expect in a Fantine after Patti Lupone, Randy Graff and Ruthie Henshall, and while I've heard a few people who admire her "stomped and spit on by society" concept of Fantine, I've heard an awful lot of speculation on when she may be replaced as well. (I haven't seen her or the production, so I don't have an opinion yet). Otherwise, I've heard a lot of positives about Celia Keenan-Bolger as Eponine.

In case anyone is interested in this production, Lea Salonga will be taking over the role of Fantine in March. Daphne Rubin-Vega is departing for "Jack Goes Boating" with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in February (which was intended prior to the start of the run). An ensemble member will be assuming the role in the interim.

In case anyone is interested in this production, Lea Salonga will be taking over the role of Fantine in March. Daphne Rubin-Vega is departing for "Jack Goes Boating" with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in February (which was intended prior to the start of the run). An ensemble member will be assuming the role in the interim.

THANK YOU for the news. This has made my day - I absolutely adore Lea Salonga.

I know I don't post much but I lurk a fair deal and couldn't resist reading this thread as Les Mis is one of my favourite musicals - must have seen it close to 20 times, and I'm not even in London or New York! As it turns out, I will be stationed in London for 6 months next year - looks like my excursion to NYC (originally planned only to catch NYCB and ABT) has become a few shows more expensive!