This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT City Center season - third week casting

I too have been caught seeing the same cast perform the same ballet(s) on multiple days of the week. This can be a MAJOR disappointment when I have argued my right to go to NYC, travelled over 4hrs each way, and spent one week's pay to attend a performance! Am I mad? Or mad? (You pick the definition.)

RE: Sinatra Suite

20 years ago, when I attended ABT regularly, I was able to view "Sinatra Suite" from close quarters (even backstage a few times). It could be an aging memory, but I seem to remember it as a pas de deux done to 4-5 Sinatra songs that basically showed the progression of a relationship from first meeting, to break-up, and final bittersweet solo. It was a very exhilarating piece because of its dramatic swiftness, and musically integrated choreography, which like much of Tharpe at the time, intermixed classical, popular, a little modern, and her own unique styles. So it is very odd that only the male principal is listed. Until the last solo, it IS a pas de deux--with equal amounts of dancing, and I think, a little more difficult moves for the female lead in that dancing! Case in point: the "That's Life" segment could be rough on Ms. Kudo's arms/back and care had to taken to avoid injury. (I remember a comment about "bruising" at the time, but don't know how literally it was meant.) And there are at least two full somersaults by her as well. So all "kudos" to Kudo and her staging this, but where are the female leads? Did she insist on equality for the female cast listing? It WILL be very interesting to see what this generation of male (and female?)leads bring to it.

This evening's program also includes tomorrow evening's (Thursday) cast. Jose Manuel Carreno's partner in Sinatra Suite will be Luciana Paris. The new Elo piece, GLOW - STOP, consists of (top line) Kent, Murphy, Copeland; (2nd line) Pavam, Boone, Tanatanit; (3rd line) Radetsky, Gomes, Cornejo; (4th line) Matthews, Hoven, Salstein.

This evening's program also includes tomorrow evening's (Thursday) cast. Jose Manuel Carreno's partner in Sinatra Suite will be Luciana Paris. The new Elo piece, GLOW - STOP, consists of (top line) Kent, Murphy, Copeland; (2nd line) Pavam, Boone, Tanatanit; (3rd line) Radetsky, Gomes, Cornejo; (4th line) Matthews, Hoven, Salstein.

Thank you Haglund's - can't wait!

I just took a quick look at the casting on ABT's calendar and it looks like Carreno has replaced Stiefel in Faun.

I guess that will be okay, but why not Hallberg? He's not dancing at either of those performances. I thought the Hallberg-Abrera Faun last year was peerless.

There was a brief interview with Stiefel in this week's TimeOut in which he acknowledged having some trouble with scar tissue that developed in one knee after surgery. Re-organizing scar tissue is a one-cell-at-a-time process that takes time. Better to take the time than not.