This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tharp, Wheeldon, Balanchine

drb

Alexei Ratmansky discussed the Boshoi's upcoming Valentine's Day Program on American Choreographers, among many other things, in an interview published in Gaseta Kultura:

http://www.kultura-portal.ru/tree_new/cult...5&pub_id=783847

The program will be:

1. Balanchine's Serenade, featuring Svetlana Zakharova.

2. Wheeldon: "a ballet he will set on the Bolshoi" to music by Arvo Part. Dancers will include Masha Alexandrova, Svetlana Lunkina and Nikolai Tsiskaridse.

3. Tharp's In the Upper Room, cast yet to be determined.

Regarding ballet in America, Mr. Ratmansky said

The 20th Century's most important choreographers worked in America: Fokine, Robbins, Tudor, Graham, Limon, Cunningham, Taylor. [This] places America in a special position among the ballet powers.... In the 20th Century, Balanchine became for American ballet what Petipa was for Russia in the 19th, not only for creating a repetoire, but for originating a style (which has been imitated by subsequent generations of choreographers).

He said Christopher Wheeldon is the "most known in the world" classical choreographer of his generation. He feels the Tharp work requires "simultaneously virtuosity and enormous internal freedom."

He also spoke about his experiences with New York City Ballet:

To my happiness, Russian Seasons enjoyed great success, it has already been shown on tours and will be repeated in New York during February of next year. This was interesting work. Inspired by remarkable music of Leonid Desyatnikov. Russian music and Russian theme. Furthermore, the rare for me possibility to one hundred percent renounce administrative concerns... To me it is important to check myself as choreographer, my habits, skill to find common language with different dancers. Yes even to look at how other companies work, [especially] the famous company of Balanchine.... During November at the opening of the season New York City Ballet will dance my Middle Duet.
Alexei Ratmansky discussed the Boshoi's upcoming Valentine's Day Program on American Choreographers, among many other things, in an interview published in Gaseta Kultura:

http://www.kultura-portal.ru/tree_new/cult...5&pub_id=783847

Regarding ballet in America, Mr. Ratmansky said

The 20th Century's most important choreographers worked in America: Fokine, Robbins, Tudor, Graham, Limon, Cunningham, Taylor. [This] places America in a special position among the ballet powers.... In the 20th Century, Balanchine became for American ballet what Petipa was for Russia in the 19th, not only for creating a repetoire, but for originating a style (which has been imitated by subsequent generations of choreographers).

He said Christopher Wheeldon is the "most known in the world" classical choreographer of his generation. He feels the Tharp work requires "simultaneously virtuosity and enormous internal freedom."

He also spoke about his experiences with New York City Ballet:

To me it is important to check myself as choreographer, my habits, skill to find common language with different dancers. Yes even to look at how other companies work, [especially] the famous company of Balanchine.... During November at the opening of the season New York City Ballet will dance my Middle Duet.

I have read some other interviews with Ratmansky and he impresses me as a man of great open minded-ness and curiosity.

In addition he seems he be very willing to take on the role of turbo-charged new broom , clearly away any cobwebs he finds, regarlyless of hurt egos.

Lucky Bolshoi, I can see it heading for a period of great accomplishment.

Richard

No, as far as I know just in Russian. A little knowledge of the language plus Babelfish will make some of it comprehensible.

Many other topics were covered: Bolshoi's huge success in London; the development of so many young dancers into stars (Osipova et al): the effect of NY and London successes on future touring (many tours announced--not to USA); the Bolt broadcast and dvd; the huge success of Bright Stream and the degree to which it is touring.

Also the addition of a number of male dancers (already covered in these pages); the degree to which the added touring performances will help solve the problem of loss of performances for senior dancers caused by addition of these men, Vishneva, and the new young stars.

Plans for the rest of this season. He has a policy in which he balances the need for new works while still keeping 2/3 of the performances of the classics. Since Ivan Vasiliev debuts on Tuesday, there was much discussion of the "New Baryshnikov."

Concern was expressed regarding his history of moving from country to country. He gave assurance that he would stay by mentioning that his house and family are in Russia.

The "American" Program has begun its run at the Bolshoi Theatre. Their website has published two photos of each. If you click the squiggle under each you will get a full-page image.

Serenade Zakharova/Uvarov, Corps:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/season/press-service/foto/serenade/

Misericordes (Wheeldon) Yatsenko/Lopatin, Company:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/season/press-serv...o/misericordes/

In the Upper Room Osipova/Medvedev, Medvedev/Ryzhkina/Godovsky:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/season/press-serv...intheupperroom/