This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gala des Etoiles, Montreal

My daughter attends university in Montreal, and luckily was able to get a ticket for tonight's event. We live quite a distance, so I will have to live vicariously through her reports.

Is anyone from this Board planning to attend? Would love to hear your impressions!

mom2

Daughter enjoyed the gala very much, and for a change I think was glad that she did something I suggested!! :toot:

She enjoyed it all, but seemed particularly taken by the dancers from the Kirov. She thought perhaps the piece performed by Desmond Richardson wasn't the best choice for him?

It would be nice to read the impressions of others who attended.............

m2

Mom2 - do you know what Desmond performed? Didn't Guillaume and Heather performed as well? I am so curious. Though I am a Montrealer, I don't get home nearly enough and miss all the fun stuff (except the Ice Storm...I didn't miss that and will definitely if it ever comes again!)

Hi Gracey,

She didn't tell me what work Desmond performed, but she wasn't gushing as much as I did when I saw him in the Toronto Gala in 2005 (daughter had rehearsal herself that day, so someone else had the benefit of her ticket!)..I know that if she had seen that Toronto performance she would have been mightily impressed.

And yes, Heather Ogden and G. Cote performed as well. Because she has seen them perform a number of times before, she expected the would do well and they did!

I had my daughter consult her program, and Desmond Richardson performed a solo choreographed by Dwight Rhoden, music by Prince.

The dancers from the Kirov performed something from Paquita and Grand Pas Classique. It was the latter dance that she was in awe of.

She also enjoyed Annik B. from Les Grands in Petit Mort, a Kylian piece.

The dancers from Stuttgart were also "amazing" (when you are 19 things seem to be one extreme or the other). They did a piece entitled "Mono Lisa," choreographed by Itzik Galili. (These dancers were Jason Reilly and Alicia Amatriain.)

Wish I could have been in the audience as well!

m2

The dancers from Stuttgart were also "amazing" (when you are 19 things seem to be one extreme or the other). They did a piece entitled "Mono Lisa," choreographed by Itzik Galili. (These dancers were Jason Reilly and Alicia Amatriain.)

Jason Reilly (btw, he is from Toronto) and Alicia Amatriain are really amazing :D , also when you are more than 19! :clapping:

Not a surprise that your daughter was impressed by Leonid Sarafanov from the Kirov!!! His high and soft jumps and batteries are more than amazing!!! :yahoo:

..... Desmond Richardson performed a solo choreographed by Dwight Rhoden, music by Prince.
He danced that piece (identified only as "Solo" in the program) in the Stars of the 21st Century Gala 2005 in Toronto, as well.

What did Daniil Simkin perform?

Actually, I don't think Daniil was there. His father performed though.... "feed the bird," and "amour..." (couldn't get the full title of the second one out of a tired student this evening, sorry!

As for Desmond Richardson, if that was the same piece we saw in Toronto in 2005 I just can't account for the apparent lack of rave reviews.

Speaking of reviews, has anyone found any online?

m2