This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

If you are in the NY area please make sure you see the current revival of Sondheim's SWEENEY TODD.

I saw it last week and do believe that I never made contact with my seat.

John Doyle's conception and direction are pure genius. The performers never leave the stage and if you didn't already know, they are accomplished musicians who perform the entire score! Many play several instruments in addition to possessing voices like angels.

I've been seeing Broadway since the 70s and can remember being moved this way rarely. I saw the original Broadway production three times and adored it but this production of Sweeney takes the cake.

Interestingly my four current favorite Broadway directors are all British.

Hytner - Carousel, History Boys

Leveaux - NINE, Fiddler

Mendes - Cabaret, Gypsy

Doyle - Sweeney and soon Company

This production of Sweeney is not to be missed. :devil:

Thank you for the report, glebb , and it's good to hear from you. This production has certainly received fine reviews (although not everyone who posts here received it with enthusiasm).

There does indeed appear to have been a second (or is it the third?) British invasion. Is it a Good Thing, I wonder? (Out here on the West Coast, I have no way of knowing. :devil: )