This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2006 City Center season announcement, schedule

Just a thought re Corella casting at City Center

Christopher Wheeldon has choreographed the "Dance of the Hours" in the Met's "La Giaconda" this season. Corella danced it in Spain last year--don't know if it was CW's choreography, but don't think so. Anyways, "La Giaconda" premieres September 26th and runs through October 21st--ie. through first week of ABT at City Center. So if he is dancing for the Met, it would conflict. Of course, Met has not announced anything yet re this. Last year, I also seem to remember him missing first week at City Center (still in Spain then) and only appearing for "Corsair" and "Tchaikovsky" pdd's later. This year only 2 perfs of "Clear" so far.

Interesting about "Sinatra Suite" (I used to watch Baryshnikov & Kudo do it backstage way back when)... After seeing Corella's "Kings of Dance" solo by Stanton Welch, I immediately wondered if he would be doing it, but don't know if he (or ABT management) agreed.

Thanks for clearing up my questions about November 1st. As an out-of-towner, I try to wait for casting, but after seeing that, I just took the plunge and bought my tix, trying to cram as much of the rep in weekend as I could--knowing most ABT dancers are fine to watch no matter what.

Just noticed the removal of Sarah Lane's name in the Sinatra Suite casting in the ABT website.I hope she is not injured. Joe

Sarah Lane is not injured, but the ABT CC casting cards are being shuffled so that seasoned principals and soloists take priority.

The Opening Night casting has been posted on abt.org:

OPENING NIGHT GALA

Symphonie Concertante, First Movement

M. Wiles

V. Part

Sinatra Suite

Cast to be announced

Swan Lake Act II pas de deux

P. Herrera

M. Beloserkovsky

Meadow pas de deux

J. Kent

M. Gomes

Diana and Acteon pas de deux

X. Reyes

J. Carreño

In the Upper Room

Company

Just a thought re Corella casting at City Center

Christopher Wheeldon has choreographed the "Dance of the Hours" in the Met's "La Giaconda" this season. Corella danced it in Spain last year--don't know if it was CW's choreography, but don't think so.

Angel Corella debuted this evening in The Met's production of La Giaconda. The audience went crazy-crazy. The choreography, which was Wheeldon's first for The Met, was a welcomed step up in the realm of opera-ballet, but as far as ballet-ballet, it was a nonsensical pastiche of you-name-it. Too many dancers on the floor for such a small space. The corps work looked like Balanchine classroom stuff. The PdD looked complicated for the sake of being complicated. Corella was not his superlative self - although he was probably the best thing The Met Opera has ever seen dancing in its productions. All in all, the dancing was a success and enhanced the opera - and probably sold a few ABT tickets as well. As a sidebar, I really enjoyed sitting in my $15 balcony box seat. All the balcony boxes, the family circle boxes, and the back half or so of the family circle are now $15 Monday-Friday. It was packed! Wouldn't it be great if ABT followed suit next spring?

Angel Corella debuted this evening in The Met's production of La Giaconda. The audience went crazy-crazy. The choreography, which was Wheeldon's first for The Met, was a welcomed step up in the realm of opera-ballet .... Corella was not his superlative self - although he was probably the best thing The Met Opera has ever seen dancing in its productions.

A couple of points to put this into historical perspective:

A previous Dance of the Hours was choreographed by Balanchine & Ashton choreographed Stravinsky's Nightingale in the Stavinsky Evening production still current at the Met. Balanchine also choreographed Met productions of Onegin & Boris G. in the past as well as others during his Met "residency".

Dowell, Makarova, Bujones, Gregory, McKerrow, Woetzel have all danced in Met productions in recent memory & let's not forget Janet Collins.

Nevertheless, it's good news that the audience was enthusiastic. & perhaps Danny Tidwell's 2 performances will sell some tickets for Complexions.

Just noticed the removal of Sarah Lane's name in the Sinatra Suite casting in the ABT website.I hope she is not injured. Joe

Sarah Lane is not injured, but the ABT CC casting cards are being shuffled so that seasoned principals and soloists take priority.

Sorry to hear that. Lane is one of my favorites and I was ready to buy a ticket based on her. No females are listed on the ABT site for Sinatra Suite. Are the guys going it alone?

Lane should be a soloist.

...Lane is one of my favorites and I was ready to buy a ticket based on her...

Lane should be a soloist.

I was ready to buy because of her too. Evidently management thinks that principal names sell more tickets. Quite the contrary, half of their principals motivate me NOT to buy, whereas Sarah and a couple (at least!) of the corps members are instant draws. I hope Ms. Lane gets an Aurora in this Spring's Sleeping Beauty. And I'll second your soloist vote too.

A couple of points to put this into historical perspective:

A previous Dance of the Hours was choreographed by Balanchine & Ashton choreographed Stravinsky's Nightingale in the Stavinsky Evening production still current at the Met. Balanchine also choreographed Met productions of Onegin & Boris G. in the past as well as others during his Met "residency".

Dowell, Makarova, Bujones, Gregory, McKerrow, Woetzel have all danced in Met productions in recent memory & let's not forget Janet Collins.

Nevertheless, it's good news that the audience was enthusiastic. & perhaps Danny Tidwell's 2 performances will sell some tickets for Complexions.

I saw Allegra Kent in Dance of the Hours many years ago -- Now that was fun!!

Carreno and Gomes also are dancing the role. Of the four you would think Sarah would most likely pair with Cornejo, based on size and prior partnering experience (at least I hope, since he's listed for the Gala).

What are the chances that Lane will be given this opportunity? Why are no women listed for Sinatra Suite? Isn't it strange?