This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"On Point" Spring '06

The Spring issue of ABT's magazine arrived in today's mail. The cover is Fabrizio Ferri's Christ-like photo of Julio Bocca in Manon, and there's a feature acknowledging his farewell season. Julie Kent's 20th season celebration and David Hallberg's promotion to Principal also have small photo-accompanied stores. Obituaries of Fernando Bujones, Rebecca Wright and Trustee Patricia Hagan are balanced with wedding announcements for Erica Cornejo (Boston Principal Carlos Molina) and Adrienne Schulte (John Froelich), and the birth of Nina Ananiashvili's daughter Helene. It is encouraging that Nina is id'd as Principal Dancer.

I had missed the fact that PBS's broadcast of Swamp Lake had won a Gold Award from the Parent's Choice Foundation. It is unfortunate that telecasts of both local Swan Lakes were of performances below typical quality.

There are two pages on the Kudelka Cinderella, photos include Kent/Gomes, Cinders Murphy with sisters E. Cornejo and C. Corella. Also two society pages from Fall and Winter events. A couple of pages on various company programs, as well.

The 12 pages are dominated by color photos, including a generous center spread on Fabrizio Ferri's work. Although he doesn't seem to really be a ballet photographer there is one of Alessandra Ferri in Manon in which she is standing on her insteps. I know she has very strong feet (her last Juliets with Julio were danced in shoes with the insoles ripped out), but does she really do this in live performance? Other Fabrizio photos are of a charming Xiomara Reyes (tieing her shoe in his studio), the by now familiar Murphy/Stiefel wet Swan kiss, Hallberg facing six unnamed soloists, and the familiar Carreno rope (Corsaire) picture.

Thanks again, drb, for sharing so much detail. But it leaves us wanting more. :wub:

Congrats to Erica and Carlos, whose legal status was for years, a matter of fervid speculation.

There are two pages on the Kudelka Cinderella, photos include . . . sisters E. Cornejo and C. Corella.
For the sisters, I see they are actually casting two sisters of fellow ABT dancers! What are the odds?
For the sisters, I see they are actually casting two sisters of fellow ABT dancers! What are the odds?

Don't really ask me for the odds: I've taught Probability! But I'm sure this was a non-random bit of casting. Oh, and just think if ABT'd gone for the Ashton version: how good would it have been to see the sisters' brothers play the sisters?!