This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"NYCB News" Spring 2006

My copy of New York City Ballet News, Spring 2006, finally arrived. In addition to an obvious feature on the Diamond Project choreographers, there are two feature articles, one on the history of Firebird, the other on Jennie Somogyi's return.

Firebird

This comes with five photos, a large one of Tallchief/Moncion, the familiar one of Kirkland not enjoying Mr. B's adjusting her costume, von Aroldingen/Martins, Nichols, and Ashley. Some dancers are interviewed, surprisingly even Kirkland, who is not surprisingly not enthusiastic: after listing her objections to Karinska's costume she adds "I am very grateful, however, to have escaped having to wear the black pageboy wig that was originally planned." Maria Tallchief originated the role with a fire red costume. Karinska and Mr. B "didn't like the way it fit...They also didn't like the headress." But it was too late to change, and she had a great success. Ms. von Aroldingen liked the costume and wig, "But luckily I didn't have to wear the mask they made for me, because I couldn't see out of it." Ms. Nichols had yet another costume, with gold train and wings, which Mr. B liked so much that he altered his choreography to accomodate it: "He loved that costume and would always bring people to see it up close." The current red costume was created for Merrill Ashley in 1985, as Robbins wanted to get closer to the 1949 version of the ballet.

Jennie Somogyi

This is about Jennie's return from a severely torn tendon in her foot. Pre-surgery they were not even able to assure her that she would ever be able to walk, and making it back to dance "would be a miracle."

"I had to wear a hard cast for 13 weeks. I didn't even walk for three months. The whole procedure was really scary." About her return, after a year and a half, in Chiaroscuro, she says that after the performance "I burst out crying. There was such a huge relief--I had done it!"

While she feels people are anxious to see her in her old roles, she's "excited to learn new roles... A lot of my roles were physically demanding...sometimes I wasn't having as much fun as I should have been." But now she feels "much more relaxed on stage. I'm finally getting to be myself out there, and I have a chance to develope my artistry." ..."I think people just want to see the athlete, but I have so much more than that to give." She is especially looking forward to dancing Liebeslieder Walzer, and a photo of her in that role is included (with Hubbe).

Other photos include Ashley Bouder's Rose Adagio and Tess Reichlen in Western Symphony. Departures from the corps of Amanda Edge, Sarah Ricard, and Jamie Wolf are also noted.

[somogyi] is especially looking forward to dancing Liebeslieder Walzer, and a photo of her in that role is included (with Hubbe).
He was a lovely partner in Liebeslieder in the Centennial Celebration broadcast. She should be in good hands.

Thank you for the news, drb!

My copy of New York City Ballet News, Spring 2006, finally arrived. In addition to an obvious feature on the Diamond Project choreographers, there are two feature articles, one on the history of Firebird, the other on Jennie Somogyi's return.

Firebird

The current red costume was created for Merrill Ashley in 1985, as Robbins wanted to get closer to the 1949 version of the ballet.

Just curious, is the Ashley 1985 costume an exact replica of 1949 Firebird costume? Tallchief always looks so stunning in pictures with that particular costume.

The article said it was close to the model Tallchief wore, but not exact.

In the B&W photos the tutus and headdresses, basically 3 or 4 long feathers sticking up and curving back from the top of the head, look quite similar. But where Tallchief's problem was one of fit--and the headress arrived 10 minutes before curtain and had to be pinned in place--Ashley's problem was one of interpretation, as Robbins and Moncion had given conflicting instructions and she had to work out for herself what kind of bird Mr. B would have wanted her to be.

The costume reconstruction in 1985 was done by Dain Marcus (I believe that is his name). It was very similar to the one created for Tallchief. When I saw it, in 1985, I had a memory "flash" that Tallchief had worn red tights. In 2004, at one of the Guggenheim talks, I asked her about that, and she said, "They were ORANGE!!!"

ViolinConcerto, that's for sharing that. Every once and a while, I've seen some Firebirds try the red tights and shoes, but not since Margaret Tracey wore them and slipped a bunch of times. That was it for the red shoes and tights!