This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

More Marketing Strategies

:speechless-smiley-003: Hans, I have to admit that I could not find those pages on MySpace. Similarly, when I clicked the link to PNB (given above) I got a notice that it had been deleted.

This may be a generational problem, but -- Is there some special trick to accessing and using this site?

City Center's Fall for Dance Festival is not only a marketing stroke in itself -- six programs, each presenting an eclectic mix of genres and companies. In the Playbill, the future dates of local engagements of performing companies (City Center and other venues) are presented in bold type along with the credits.

Beyond that, audience members receive an insert in their programs that announces: Special Offer for Fall For Dance festival Attendees Only! Intro DancePack. Choose 3 or more companies and get each ticket for just $15 (Color and emphasis theirs :dry: ). The companies from which to choose your three (or more) tickets are Sylvie Guillem & Russell Maliphant -- Push, American Ballet Theater, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York Flamenco Festival, Paul Taylor Dance Company and Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg. Not a bad deal at all, and it should prove to be an effective audience builder.

City Center is a not-for-profit organization, its main theater used primarily for dance. It is in a good position to be able to package events like Fall for Dance and extend its benefits to other Terpsichorean entities. I don't know that there are many similar organizations. Can anyone think of some?

City Center is a not-for-profit organization, its main theater used primarily for dance. It is in a good position to be able to package events like Fall for Dance and extend its benefits to other Terpsichorean entities. I don't know that there are many similar organizations. Can anyone think of some?

It is possible to create relationships with other groups without an umbrella organization -- here in Seattle some companies have started to cross-promote, so that if you see company A one weekend, they will mention the show that company B is doing the same weekend in their pre-show chat or include flyers for company B in their programs. We've also seen groups offer ticket discounts, so that you come with a ticket stub from one group and you get a couple bucks off your ticket price to the other one. This has started in part because people have been booking so many events on the same weekend that the audience is getting splintered.

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum but it seemed appropriate here to the topic being discussed.

I was just browsing on the Cincinnati Ballet site (www.cincinnatiballet.com) and happened to come across a new 'Webisode' and 'Podcast'. They are promoting the upcoming performances of Giselle.

The Webisode actually has Victoria Morgan (AD) and two friends sitting at a table drinking wine and discussing the many emotions (love, revenge, forgiveness) that some of the characters in the ballet are dealing with and how these emotions relate to their own personal experiences. Perhaps this is a first for an AD (not sure) to appear on their own website in such an informal way promoting their company. I found it quite enjoyable and even entertaining!

Also the Podcast has an interview (by Morgan) with Ballet Master Devon Carney (Choreographer) as he discusses Giselle as well as an interview with Janessa Touchet one of 3 ballerinas performing the role. Not quite on the scale of what other companies are doing to bring in new audiences but I do think it is a nice step in the right directions on Morgan's part. ~Tango

Thank you, tango49, for reporting on that. Here's the LINK

http://www.cincinnatiballet.com/

What do others think?

It strikes me that the concept is very promising, but that the've been a bit too humble in the way it's presented. Nothing on the site actually highlights or calls attention to these these interesting and novel features. On the home page (linked above) there is no explanation about what those words "webisode" or "podcast" refer to or what you will find when you get there.

The podcast, including two brief interviews with Devon Carney (described as the choreographer) and one with Janessa Tuchet (the Giselle), as well as selections of the score, is interesting and helpful. But -- once you get to the page -- there's nothing really to attract you to click and listen.

The "webisode" begins with three women sitting at a table in the Bankers Club discussing their experiences of being deceived by men and seguing into a discussion of Giselle's similar plight. There's a tie-in (if you look quite carefully) with a poll that allows you to"vote" about what should Giselle do in her Act I situation. Should she "let true love reign"? or "seek revenge"?

I love it in theory. But it seems a shame to put so much effort into something and then present it on the page in a way that neither informs the viewer of what is going on, nor attracts them to participate.

The video seemed a bit stilted to me, a bit like a re-enactment of an episode of Sex and the City, though perhaps if I wasn't familiar with the plot of Giselle and so didn't know where it was going it wouldn't feel quite so odd. I liked the podcast very much, especially the variety of points of view and the inclusion of the actual score.

And I must say that they both ran quickly and well -- not always the case with web-based video/audio materials!

My impression is that this marketing approach is trying to reach out to non ballet goers and trying to link the plot theme of the ballet with things that occur in our every day lives.

The average John and Jane Doe armed with some insight in the plot and how it could relate to things in their own lives might be induced to see how these themes are translated into ballet... and they offer a discount too.

I don't know that it will be successful in bringing more in to view the performance, but it clearly is targeted at non balletomanes and in the end this approach may create a few new ballet lovers. Isn't it the story line of the Nutcracker which children can relate to?

For ballet outreach into the greater community, I think the approach is fine. It may not appeal to everyone, but it will to some. No?

I don't know it it's Nut's story that appeals to children as much as -- at least in my case -- the presence of so many other children on stage. Add to that all the color, the music (which has usually been introduced to the child beforehand and is therefore somewhat familiar) and of course, beautiful dancers dancing beautifully.

Dancing beautifully, that is, until the child grows up and becomes a critic. :wink: