This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jenifer Ringer & Monique Meunier

AmandaNYC

Meunier was a late substitute in the Walpurgesnacht on Thursday, but other than that, she will go at least three weeks without being cast in anything. I have no idea why. She seems healthy now. Is she being held back so she won't injure herself, or is she just out of favor? I don't know too many companies that would keep a principal dancer in her prime out for so long.

Meunier and Ringer were both in the 2nd cast for Cortege but as the ballet was cancelled twice, they never got on. A shame. I hope she and Hubbe will do Prodigal Son sometime this season. They were wonderful a few years ago, but MM hasn't been cast in it since, despite rave reviews. :)

I remember seeing Monique dance the pas de deux from Stars and Stripes on the last day of the winter season, and thinking she looked sensational.

Then I saw her (as a substitute -- for shame!) in Walpurgisnacht, and she looked even more sensational. She was dancing as full-out and grandly and, dare I say it, heroically as ever. She got a huge ovation from the crowd, and all I could think is "Why is this woman not being cast more?"

I did notice that Meunier, a woman who has never been svelte, wasn't at the lightest I've ever seen her, but neither was she at her heaviest. It certainly seemed that the ever-capable Charles Askegard had no difficulties lifting, not to mention flinging, her about. I do wonder if Martins is perhaps punishing her in some manner for having put on a pound or two. If so, it's quite disappointing. He's not only depriving a wonderful dancer of the opportunity to perform, he's depriving us of the chance of seeing her.

And, yes, she's a wonderful Siren.

I think of Meunier much as I do Pascale van Kipnis, another wonderful dancer in whom Martins appears to have lost interest.

If it's not Meunier's weight (which really is fine as far as I'm concerned), I can't imagine what it must be.

And if it is her weight, it seems the best way to get it down would be for Peter to show some faith in her, and also get her onstage more than once a month!