This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nureyev and Miss Piggy in Swan Lake

bart

On another thread Dr. Coppelius posted a link to a short video of Rudolph Nureyev dancing the Act II pas de deux in Swan Lake with a life size (well, over-size) Miss Piggy. I'd never seen it - and it's brilliant (I think).

Here is the LINK: http://www.nemicidimaria.com/VIDEO/EXTRA/Bellissimi.htm

The humor is accessible to the general audience, and not over done. But there is also quite a bit of the original choreography (sort of) and some of clever allusions to problems of partnerning, etc. This was NOT your usual ballet parody, though many of those elements are present.

I was wondering what others thought of this -- especially the quality of the performance as well as the quality of the humor.

It was a great vaudeville moment. The "class act" crossing over to the comedians. That came at a time in British TV when people were clamoring to get on to this crazy show, and some startling people showed up, doing unexpected things. I don't recall who they got out of the male corps of the Royal to be Miss P., but he wore this incredible full-body (it can't even be called fat anymore) pork suit, and he and Nureyev goofed and improvised in front of the camera until they had as much insanity to cut n' paste into a somewhat coherent number.