This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

An acquaintance of mine is attempting his very first steps as an actor. So far, he has done two monologues: one was an adaptation of a Chejov's tale (about a man who wanted to kill his wife because she was being unfaithful), and another to a Pushkin's tale ("The Shot" was the name).

He is looking for new ones, and I wonder if some of you could help me. They have to be rather short, as it is part of a program where dancing, singing, etc, is also involved. As this performance takes place in a Russian cultural institute, it would be better (though not restricted to it) if the monologue was written by a Russian playwright.

thanks a lot

Silvy

silvy, the collected plays of Chekhov a/o Turgenev would seem a logical place to start. If he's adapting short stories, Gogol would provide rich basic material to work with -- maybe a monologue version of "The Nose"?

When I was taking theatre classes, I recall being able to find several anthologies of monologues for actors. A trip to the library or a keyword search on a bookseller's website would probably provide him with plenty of selections to choose from. Hope this helps.

Can't help you too much with Russians, but Tennessee Williams has got some great ones in English...

In Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Brick has a good one about his friend who died....

The best of course are for the female characters, but I think there are a couple for the brother in Glass Menagerie.....

Shakespeare has great ones -- Macbeth's speech beginning "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" is not long but packs a wallop.

But they're maybe too familiar.

Robert Browning wrote a whole series of "dramatic monologues" -- poems a couple pages long, that are tremendously fertile -- "My Last Duchess" would be a great piece to present. And they have the virtue of being not just condensations of great stories but themselves great poems.

Robert Browning wrote a whole series of "dramatic monologues" -- poems a couple pages long, that are tremendously fertile -- "My Last Duchess" would be a great piece to present. And they have the virtue of being not just condensations of great stories but themselves great poems.

Along those lines, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and "Lady Lazarus" are great narrative poems.

And a couple of virtuoso turns: "The Story of Jerry and the Dog" from Edward Albee's one-act play "The Zoo Story", and Doc's speech to the title character in Heggen and Logan's play Mister Roberts, "Have a seat, buddy-boy, I have a bone or two to pick with you!"

The novelty of American material might work in your friend's favor.

My friend finally choose to adapt Gogol's "The Nose", but it shall not be a monologue but a "duet" (what is the correct name in drama?) with another actor. They shall be playing a military officer who loses his nose, and a doctor who is asked to replace it.... only that it shall be a dream. The whole thing will happen in Czarist Russia, before the Revolution, and my friend shall end the play saying "I smell changes" (this is a bad translation from Spanish, I know,but I hope you can get my meaning; in Spanish the word "oler" means "smell", and can be used figuratively, meaning sort of "anticipate that there will be changes soon")

As you see, my friend is very imaginative.......

The whole thing will happen in Czarist Russia, before the Revolution, and my friend shall end the play saying "I smell changes" (this is a bad translation from Spanish, I know,but I hope you can get my meaning; in Spanish the word "oler" means "smell", and can be used figuratively, meaning sort of "anticipate that there will be changes soon")

The same figurative meaning works in English.

I must tell you that my friend and the other actor finally performed the play, and it was a success - everyone laughed a lot. My friend even came off stage with a measuring tape, and starting measurng the noses of some of the men in the audience......one if them was asleep, and my friend said:"vodka is very dangerous"

It was most hilarious.