This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

music for "Spring Waters" pdd (Rachmaninoff)

Our department here at Indiana University performed this pas de deux to live music this fall. We had trouble finding the music too because, as I understand it, it's a famous aria that has been transcribed for piano and then performed at a much faster tempo. One of our accompanists ended up transcribing from a videotape of the ballet being performed. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful...but maybe this is why you have had trouble finding it?

i once heard dmitri hvorostovsky sing the rachmaninoff song about spring waters at a concert. as for who re-worked and orchestrated the song for messerer's choreography in the first place, and when the concert-duet was first performed in russia, i have no information.

Regarding the pdd itself, I have seen it performed by Argentinian dancers, and also by the Cubans, not only Russian...

Do you know if it is still performed in Russia, or if it has gone out the repertory? I ask this because this is a work of the Soviet period.

i can't say for certain if the czinner film THE BOLSHOI BALLET, as noted below includes the full of 'spring waters' but it's part of the film's divertissement segement. i can't now recall if this one-time-commercial-cassette-release is now on dvd but if it is and if one is so adept - as i am not - one could possibly transfer the audio track to CD from the DVD.

The Bolshoi Ballet 1957. (98 min.) : sd., col.

Filmed in performance at Covent Garden, London in the fall of 1956. A Paul Czinner-I. R. Maxwell Production for Harmony Films. Released by the Rank Film Distributors of America in 1957. Directed by Paul Czinner. Performed by Galina Ulanova, Raissa Struchkova, Nikolai Fadeyechev and members of the Bolshoi Ballet.

CONTENTS. - Dance of the Tartars from The fountain of Bakhchisaray (2 min.) with choreography by Rostislav Zakharov; music by Boris Asaf'yev; cast: M. Borisov, Andrei Kramarevsky, Shamil Yagudin, and others. Spanish dance from Swan lake (1 min.) with choreography by Aleksandr Gorski; music by Chaikovskii; cast: Susanna N. Zviagina, Yaroslav D. Sekh, A. Nersesova, and Herman Sitnikov. Spring waters (1 min.) with choreography by Asaf Messerer; music by Rakhmaninov; performed by Lyudmila Bogomolova and Stanislav Vlasov. Polonaise and cracovienne from Ivan Susanin (6 min.) with choreography by Rostislav Zakharov; music by Mikhail Glinka; cast: Y. Sangovich, M. Kolpakchi, A. Radunsky, S. Zvyagina, V. Petrova, V. Levashev, K. Rikhter and others. Walpurgisnacht (19 min.) with choreography by Leonid Lavrovski; music by Gounod; cast: Raissa Struchkova, Aleksandr Lapauri, Georgi Farmanyantz, A. Trushkin, T. Vetrova, M. Gottlieb, Z. Korotaeva and others. The dying swan (4 min.) with music by Saint-Saëns; and performed by Galina Ulanova. Giselle: Act I (30 min.) and beginning of Act II (21 min.) Revised choreography and abbreviated version by Leonid Lavrovski; music by Adolphe Adam. Cast: Galina Ulanova (Giselle), Nikolai Fadeyechev (Albert), Vladimir Levashev (Hilarion), Rimma Karelskaya (Myrtha), Eric Volodin (Albert's equerry), and members of the Bolshoi Ballet.

there is a recording of it available on the "bolshoi" six cd set series. this is on the cd that contains various pas de deuxs and suites... i am not sure though if these are out of print???

Does someone know about these recordings (label, title, etc)?

Does someone know about these recordings (label, title, etc)?

It is a six CD Set by PILZ - made in West Germany it says on the box. #441 002-2

The title is "Orginal Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra"

Digitally recorded in Moscow.

1989 PILZ GMBH & Co Music KG, Hamburg - Made in West Germany

I hope this helps.