This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Blue Bird- Russian vs Royal Ballet version

silvy

miscalculation, indeed.

o'course louis le desire was dauphin in the 17th (as noted in the correction post) and not 18th c. (as n my miscalculated dating.) i stand corrected.

I know for sure ( I read in some encyclopedia) that Louis XIV stopped dancing around 1680. because he became too old and fat for dancing. That is also the time when other people from the Court stopped dancing, following his example, and professional dancers from Academia that he opened some years before became popular.

So, it is for sure that he lived in 17. century :)

Anyway, since this is my first post, I just want to say hi to everybody :(

Welcome. I for one would like to hear about performances at the National Theatre especially the upcoming Natalya Makarova production of "La Bayadere."

Regards

And, I am sorry, I didn't quite understand, which National Theatre is the question about?

(National Theatre in Belgrade - where I am from, will not produce "La Bayadere" in the near future, as far as I am informed :)

In the case your question was for me personally :) )

In her recent review of NYC Ballet’s Sleeping Beauty on Danceviewtimes, Mary Cargill wrote:

“the Bluebird has captured Princess Florine, and is controlling her. The little hand to the ear gestures of Florine show her listening to his commands and following his lead; the choreography should not be just a series of unconnected flutters”

This is the first time I’ve heard of a scenario where the Bluebird had captured Princess Florine. Any other thoughts on this interpretation, and where it may have originated?

"Captured" is probably not the best term. The "Bluebird" story goes back to a fairy tale written by one of the "female intellectuals" of the Louis XIV period, and had the princess locked in a tower by her father, and the bluebird is her only companion. In the winter, he flies away, "to China" the story goes, and returns in the spring. When the princess listens carefully to him, she realizes that she can understand his language, and begins to speak to him. One day, she complains about being locked up in the tower, and the bird asks why she can't fly away. She explains that she doesn't know how to fly, but the bird says, "Nothing easier. Since you've listened so carefully to me, you will have no trouble in learning if you continue to listen in that manner." So she learns from the Bluebird, and they both fly off to China together.

BTW the other obscure fairy tale used in the divertissement (besides Hop O' My Thumb which I think is better known, though it's NOT Tom Thumb as some programs say, lol) is the White Cat who dances with Puss N Boots though she's from a seperate story. She's also probably from the Madame d'Aulnoy version (since they seemed to use exclusively the Perrault and d'Aulnoy fairy stories) though there are many versions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puddocky