This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opera Bastille-Questions about Visit

I'm going to attend a performance at the Opera Bastille in a couple of weeks, and I have a few questions about the house:

Will there be enough signage in the house to be able to find my section easily?

Is coat check required? (I'll be wearing a very light, short coat.) Is there a cost, or do the coat check people get tipped?

Is there any specific vocabulary that would help?

I'm in the cultural anxiety pre-planning phase of my trip and would appreciate any help. :unsure:

The Bastille is a great house, wonderful sightlines, And excellent signage.

You won't be forced to check your coat but, if you do, a gratuity will be expected. Same for your program & the paper in the loo.

Most French in positions of dealing with the public do speak English .. most, not all.

Phrase I frequently find useful: "Ou est le cabinet de toilette?"

Many thanks, zerbinetta!

Two more questions -- do you mean when the ushers give you a cast list/program, or when you purchase one in the lobby (or none of the above)? And is gratuity in the one-two Euro range? I grew up in a house where no one went anywhere, and I wasn't able to observe any of the fine points.

Many thanks, zerbinetta! 

Two more questions -- do you mean when the ushers give you a cast list/program, or when you purchase one in the lobby (or none of the above)?  And is gratuity in the one-two Euro range?  I grew up in a house where no one went anywhere, and I wasn't able to observe any of the fine points.

Helene, tips are not expected, nowhere in this theatre - which doesn't mean you can't give any of course, but it's not necessary. You can only buy your program with cast sheet outside of the auditorium. The ushers inside the auditorium will guide you to your seat and give you an extra cast sheet when needed.

Helene, tips are not expected, nowhere in this theatre - which doesn't mean you can't give any of course, but it's not necessary. You can only buy your program with cast sheet outside of the auditorium. The ushers inside the auditorium will guide you to your seat and give you an extra cast sheet when needed.

Yes indeed, tips are not expected at all, I even wonder if they are forbidden (they are in some theaters- anyway, I don't remember seeing people tipping at the Paris Opera...

In general, the "tip" culture in France seems to be quite different from the US; e.g. in most restaurants, people are not expected to leave a tip except if they are especially happy with the service).

The cast sheet given inside the auditorium is free, while the full programs tend to be more and more expensive (it depends on the ballet, but most were around 11 euros last time I attended a performance).

I hope you have an enjoyable trip !

Just a little additional information because the high price of a program may be confusing to American viewers. When you pay for a program at either Covent Garden or the Salle Garnier it's more like a souvenir book here; a sturdily bound paperback with a lot of articles, information and photos. The cast list itself is just a small flyer with no additional information.

The separate programs are exceptionally beautiful. While I pull out the cast lists for most US programs, I cherish the program I purchased at the Bolshoi for the photos and the historical information about performances of Evgeni Onegin.

Many thanks for everyone's input. I've never been to France before, and I'm looking forward to my very short visit there on my way to London.

Helene -- Hope you have a wonderful time. I am someone who never got over Paris--absolutely, for me, the most beautiful city in the world. (I even remember thinking--'this can't be right...it's such a cliche, but no! I really do feel this way!') Now, unfortunately, it has been some years, but I keep the faith and, to speak more soberly, if you like it a tenth as much as I do, you will have a very fine time.

OK, Paris Opera experts-

I will be at the school's demonstrations in December. There are 2 sessions, morning and afternoon. So here's the question: how much time is there between the two sessions, and, given that, what is the appropriate lunch plan? (power bars in bag? quick lunch nearby somewhere? )

koshka, who does not enjoy watching dance on an empty stomach

Does not a female need to put a coin in the slot for access to the individual bathroom cubicles in the theatres anymore? This female did but, I grant, it has been at least 5 years since my last trip.

Also, Helene, I found some wonderful restaurants (names forgotten if ever learned) along the banks of the Seine, just stumbling on them in fits of hunger. But then I don't think I ever had a bad meal in Paris.

Does not a female need to put a coin in the slot for access to the individual bathroom cubicles in the theatres anymore? This female did but, I grant, it has been at least 5 years since my last trip.

Not in the Paris operas (Garnier and Bastille), as far as I know... :(

The only problem for the bathrooms there might be that it tends to be quite crowded at the intermissions (as in many theaters).

Helene, will you have enough time for some visits besides just attening a performance ? I think that, as it is your first trip to Paris, a visit of the Opera Garnier would be interesting (and also of its Bibliiothèque-musée if it is possible).

koshka, I never attended the school's demonstrations, so I don't know how long it is (and the show's duration isn't announced on the POB web site yet). However, as the morning ones start at 10:30 AM and the afternoon ones at 2:30 PM, I guess that there should be enough time to have lunch between the performances.

The Opera Garnier zone generally is a bit expensive in terms of restaurants, but there are

a few interesting things on the Boulevard des Capucines (which crosses the Avenue de l'Opéra in front of the Opéra, between the two exits of the metro station) and in the streets nearby.

Helene, will you have enough time for some visits besides just attening a performance ? I think that, as it is your first trip to Paris, a visit of the Opera Garnier would be interesting (and also of its Bibliiothèque-musée if it is possible).

Do the tour if you can!!! I've only been to Paris once, and unfortunately in the off-season. Walked by the Garnier unaware of the tours, the night before I left. My train the next day was in the afternoon, so I decided to go for a tour in the morning... and loved it! Went to the Bibliotheque-musee within it as well, and ended up spending so much time just wandering around and staring...erm, looking... that I missed my original Eurostar!!! :(

Do let us know when you are in London as well!

Sadly, I'm only going to be in Paris for the weekend. Saturday 19th is skating -- free skates and free dance for Trophee Eric Bompard -- and Sunday I'm going to the Klimt/Kokoshka/Schiele/Moser exhibit and then to see Tristan und Isolde. I leave for London on Monday morning. I did get tickets to Sylvia for Tuesday night, 22 November. I really don't like Manon, which is playing several times during my visit, so I'll skip that and do whatever the college friends I'm meeting have planned.

Koshka, it varies from years to years but you'll have 60 to 90 minutes for lunch. You can have a quick meal at the Mac Donald or in a place selling junk food.

Hélène, I read you'll attend the Bompart trophy. A tip is expected from the Bercy ushers, and they will tell it to you. I think tips are forbidden at the POB