This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New A.B.T Soloist Xiomara Reyes

Lovebird

Xiomara Reyes is the newest soloist at A.B.T.She is from Cuba,where she danced with the Cuban National Ballet.She is petite,dark-haired,and has a very fine jump,as was seen when she recently danced the Peasant Pas de Deux at the Metropolitan Opera House.What are the opinions on her? Has she made any impressions?

I saw Reyes for the first time this afternoon as the second female lead in The Merry Widow. (I've forgotten the character's name.) She was scheduled to do this later in the week, but was stepping in today for Dvorovenko who was, in turn, stepping in for Ferri as the first lead, Hannah...Anyway, I thought Reyes was excellent -- danced very well and with a certain charm. The big pas de deux in Act II (with Belotserkovsky) had an especially nice flowing quality. I look forward to seeing her dance in other roles.

P.S. People purchasing tickets to see Ferri later in the season should probably double check casts, since word is that she will be out for the season.

Drew, the second female lead in The Merry Widow is called Valenciennes.It is a good role for her right now. Ferri is appearing less and less at A.B.T.Is she injured or planning to retire? It is a shame since I have never seen her dance live.

I saw Reyes in the Peasant pdd when Kent and Carreno performed Giselle. She's very strong technically, has a charming style and nice lyrisicm. I don't know if she's a "principal" quality yet, in fact, there's also a few dancers in the corps and soloists who seem to have all the qualities listed above already, that it's really difficult to say that she is something special. But right now, I wish her the very best of luck!!

It's just a detail of course, but Xiomara Reyes danced from 1992 until she joined ABT this season, with the Royal Ballet of Flanders in Belgium, where she eventually became first soloist (by comparison she only danced two years in the youth section of the Cuban Ballet).

I always liked her; nice quality of movement and everything, but like so many interesting talents in the Royal Ballet of Flanders, she was just wasted. Last saw her here as Florine in the Blue Bird pas de deux, outclassing about everybody in the cast, including the Aurora. I hope she will be doing fine in ABT.

Ann,

I think you pronounce it as if it began with a "Z."

I saw her last week as one of the shades in La Bayadere. She danced very well, had a nice jump and appeared strong technically.

She has a large head -- with a face that resembles Leslie Caron to me -- and doll-like body. I think many found her charming but I don't go in for the "Aren't I just the prettiest thing" way she had of flirting with the audience. But I think that's just my preference for more aloof dancers. I'd be interested in seeing her in other things. She'd probably make a fantastic Blue Bird.

Terry,it is true that the technical level of A.B.T is good.In the performances I have seen everyone was excellent.The corps de ballet in particular has improved a lot.So it is difficult to say that any particular dancer is out of the ordinary.There is another Cuban ballerina who has danced with the Royal Ballet of Flanders,Lorena Feijoo.Xiomara is pronounced with an S sound to the X.I did not notice that she has a large head.

Originally posted by Lovebird:

Ferri is appearing less and less at A.B.T.Is she injured or planning to retire? It is a shame since I have never seen her dance live.

Ferri is pregnant and she's already cancelled her engangement with La Scala at the State Theater this coming July. She's scheduled to dance "Onegin" and "the Merry Widow" but I don't know if she's going to dance at this time.

I saw Reyes in "Onegin" last night. I'd never heard of her before. She was delightful, danced joyfully, and expressively. I sat pretty far away and she was able to convey the emotions of her role, Olga, to me. She has a light, coquettish style.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: vagansmom ]