This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vinogradov Question

I was reading an interview with Larissa Lezhnina. In the inter view she said quote -

"But then again, he did so many bad things — like firing talented ballerinas such as Mezentseva, Kunakova. I mean, Mezentseva — she was almost like a legend in the Kirov."

She was speaking about Oleg Vinogradov. I didnt know he did this. It got me to thinking though, why did he do it? And when did he do it? What other bad stuff did he do for the Kirov, or to other dancers, or what other good stuff? Where is he now? Any info would be cool.

There is much that goes on behind the scenes that we cannot discuss in this forum (because of our important rule of no gossip). Some of your questions cannot be answered adequately as there are no published sources of information on subjects like the "real reason" someone was fired, or not given much opportunity to dance. So much of it is within the realm of human nature and personal relationships.

Solor, you may find some information in John Ardoin's book on Gergiev and the Kirov as the author spent the 1995-1996 season at the Mariinsky and mentions Vinogradov's involvement in the 1995 scandal.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this Ardoin book one in the endless line of boosterist items praising the current boss - Gergiev the (excuse me) savior of the Mariinsky?

If it's any good I'd love to order it, but if it's anything like one of those Hail to the (new) Chief books I guess I'll skip it.