This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT- Tokyo

Yes, I am here in Japan. I saw ABT in Tokyo, the first day, but I cannot say very much. I was only able to go to rehearsal. The tickets were sold out at $200.00 a ticket. Not practical on this ballet teacher's salary. My former students were able to get me in for the stage rehearsal of the Rep show. Herrera/Gomes, Theme; Simfonietta(sp) is all I saw, but it was a treat. I was thrilled. The stage was smallish, but a lovely theatre.

I have read mostly announcements of performances. I have not seen any reviews in English. Perhaps I may be able to go to a performance in Osaka. I will let you know.

Today there was a large earthquake in Tokyo and all the trains stopped.

The show started 45 minutes delayed, but many people could not make it to the theater, which is so sad because the show was good.

The performance was great. It was my first time to see ABT Raymonda and it was really entertaining. Angel Corella was making firery pirouettes and the audience really loved him. Gillian Murphy may not be in her best condition, but was beautiful and powerful as always. At act 2, she was bursting with energy and blloming in beauty. Jesus Pastor's Abderahman was a bit small in statue but was emotional and sensual.

By the way, as for tomorrow's matinee, Maxim was scheduled to dance Jean but was replaced by Jose Manuel Carreno.

I wasn't there, but ABT probably deserves congratulations for going on with the show. It must have been very unnerving to the dancers, and thoughts of how to keep those pirouettes on balance if aftershocks shook the stage couldn't have been far from their minds. Thanks for the report, naomikage!

Thanks for the report!

I am in NY, though…

(from the official website of the organizer)

Stiefel cancelled the Japan tour.

Maxim was injured during a gala performance.

Carreno replaced Maxim as Jean de Brienne and will replace Stiefle as Basil.

AND...

H. Cornejo will replace Maxim as Basil!!!

Oh,,,I wanna fly back to Tokyo to see this performance with Reyes as Kitri and E. Cornejo as Mercedes.

Too many things are happening this time.

A typhoon is approaching tis evening when Julio Bocca dances his last Basilo. I am going to see this but am worried I can make to the show.

Of Sunday night's Raymonda, it was a disaster. So many dancers tripping over the stage, including Veronika tripping at the 2nd act variation (one with the piano solo).

Anyway, I am very excited to see Herman's Basilo although sad to miss Maxim's.

The typhoon did not hit Tokyo luckily, and I could see Julio's last Basilo and Herman's Basilo debut.

Both were just terrific!

Julio was powerful and sexy, and his pirouettes were very clean and beautiful. His Basio was a bit naughty and very humorous. He asked the orchestra to stop playing when he commited the fake suicide, and it was very very funny. At the grand pas de deux in the 3rd act, he took a drink in the middle of his maneges but was very fast and accurate at the same time. And his talents as an actor cannot be replaced by anyone. Very emotional. The partnership with Paloma was good and I could see that they belived in each other. It is so sad that this is his last time, when he can dance so well. Many people rushed to the stage with flowers at the curtain call, and the promoter made a big sign on the stage to thank him for his wonderful work.

The cupid by Sarah Lane was so delightful and crisp. Herman's lead Gypsy was like a flame and stole everyone's hearts.

Herman's Basilo was great as all of his other performances. His character matches Basilo very well, but was more elegant than I thought. Speaking of him, gravity does not exist. He was so light and he floated in the air during his Tour en l'airs. No sound of his feet could be heard at all although I was sitting in the third row. His outstanding technique is always featured, but I thought he is a very good actor at the same time and he made his original Basilo. Not just a optimistic young fellow but a man with responsibilities and trust. The partnership with Xiomara was tight and they made such a sweet couple. I think you can all see his Basilo net MET season, as it is so fantastic. Erica's Mercedes was also terrific, with her beautiful arms and glamorous charm.

I also saw Jose and Gillian's Don Q this evening and they were also great. Gillian's fettes went more than triples and all the audience loved her. She looked so gorgeous! I saw her Swan Lake at the MET but she is evolving more and I must see every performance possible of her. Jose was noble but was charming and sweet and his techniques are also marvellous. One sad thing is Gennadi not appearing today as Espada and was replaced by David due to injuries.

These happy days with ABT Don Q will last for only 2 days...

ABT performances in Tokyo has ended successfully.

One sad news is that Marcelo Gomes was injured and the Espada role was replaced by Gennadi Savliev. He will not be dancing in the Osaka gala and Raymonda in Ohtsu. I will go to these peformances but Abderahman will be danced by Jesus Pastor. Also, Maxim will not be dancing in Osaka.

Yesterday, for the Don Q tickets were completely sold out and the performance by Angel was dazzling. His support was perfect and he did more than 10 pirouettes each time. It was just amazing and the audience went crazy with him. All of the audience stood up at the curtain call with a huge applause. Each Don Q performance was great but yesterday was the climax. To tell the truth, I did not think that Paloma's Kitri was so good on Tuesday, as sometimes she lost control, but she was much better yesterday. Angel's Basilo was very cheerful and bright young fellow and everyone likes him. Also, Gamache by Julio Bragado-Young was so funny and playful and elegant. He is a true actor.

Today, Jose Manuel Carreno was a much mature Basilo and was elegant. His one-arm lift in Act 1 was very firm and lasted very long. His pirouettes in Act 3 was so beautiful and accurate. And of course, Herman's Lead Gypsy was so airy and his leaps were so light and he was bouncing in the air as though no gravity existed. The audience was astonished by him and maybe couldn't believe what was happening before their eyes. Amazing!

Sarah Lane's Amour was delightful and fresh as the morning dew. It was a pleasure to see her.