This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2006 Jackson, Mississippi IBC Info.

Ami...I doubt that many would disagree that Nutnaree is a major talent and I was so looking forward to seeing her dance in Jackson if we made the trip. I hope that her withdrawal is due to something other than a major injury :D

Mouse...Yes the coverage was simply wonderful in 2002 and I particularly loved the personal interviews...some with several competitors. There's no doubt that Jackson roles out the red carpet for this major event and I'm sure the excitement is beginning to build for everyone involved being only a week away. We're still on hold but we do have hotel reservations for the week of round III just in case!

I have a really dumb question. Is there a listing of who is dancing each night &/or a listing of what round is being conducted each night somewhere? I need to decide what night I will go or if I will go. If such a list does not exist I guess I will just call the ticket person & pester her with questions. Oh I cannot get the ticket order form to load on my computer; I thought it might contain additional info too.

Here's a direct link to the competitor's list by country, seniors listed first, juniors next. (Gatti and Mack are both seniors.)

http://www.usaibc.com/releases/competitors.htm

There's also a .pdf file with short bios of the competitors from the competition home page. (The link text is, Click here for more!)

The ticket order form is also a .pdf file, which requires Adobe Reader, which is free and available for Windows and Mac users:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

The order form itself lists the round and session number for each date/time, but no levels. The FAQ states, "How can I find out the performance order so I can follow my favorite dancer?

Numbers are drawn randomly at registration, and the competitors keep their number throughout the entire process. They will perform in numerical order," but I don't see the order or session breakdown on the site.

Tiffany the list is posted in the jurist's hotel and the dining hall of the competitor's college site. There is no public list. Until the eliminations on Wednesday evening (late at night) even the competitors and the coaches do not know who will go on to the 2nd round.

There may be a problem in purchasing tickets in advance for the 3rd round and the closing events. For now the shows are sold out. Even the coaches have been left in the dark so to speak. The hope is that tickets will be turned in every day before the event to be sold to the coaches and the public.

It is a very worthwhile event to attend. I saw fantastic ballet. Well worth the trip to Jackson. Take a chance and go!

I have watched several of the sessions of Round I. I have also seen some really beautiful ballet. One of the concerns I have, however, is something I have noticed mostly in the junior boys round. Variations are being changed for the sake of tricks and we seem to be losing the "flavor" of the variation. Also, I have a question about Paquita that maybe someone can help me with. I have never seen the Paquita male variation danced as if it was the Don Q, i.e., a very Spanish, bull-fighter type dance. Maybe Mel can help me with this one. I felt as if the junior boys were disappointed to not have Don Q on their rep list, and used Paquita as the substitute. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

its the mom, I don't know whether this is the sort of thing you're referring to, but ....

Jury chairman Bruce Marks is interviewed in the June issue of Dance Magazine -- Question: "Are there any ... pet peeves among the jury? Answer: "The lapses of taste are the main thing. Technically, these kids can do a lot of stuff, and that's exciting. It's how they do it that's more important."

On a more positive note -- Question: "Has ballet technique evolved in the 15 years since you became chairman?" Answer: "Well, over my career I've seen huge differences in almost everything, from line to turnout. It's the same difference we've seen in the Olympics, where any little girl today in the swimming competition can beat the men's record from the 1930s. The kids dancing today have beautiful legs and feet; they do seven pirouettes stopping on half-pointe. They're so beautiful. I'm lucky I'm not auditioning now. I'd never be able to get into a company. My awful line, my God."

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have Adobe Acrobat and the ticket form still won't load, must be something with my computer. I was a student at the dance school and went to the IBC every night in 1998, and was a counselor and again saw IBC performances every night in 2002, so I hate to completely miss this one but I may have waited too long to get tickets and not be able to get any...I only have 3 days that I can attend performances so I'll just call and try my luck tomorrow. As far as the schedule I wanted to know what nights are Round I, which are Round II, etc. Ah maybe in 8 years or so I will have a good enough and flexible enough job to be able to take off from work for the whole 2 weeks and see all performances (I've always missed the afternoon shows). :)

bart, thank you so much for posting Bruce Marks' comments. (I think it's time for me to hunt down that issue before it's yanked from the newsstands...

Tiffany, I hope you get to go to Jackson IBC, even if it's for a couple of days. Good luck!

Thanks so much, Ms. Schneider. I have been calling the USA IBC box office today with no luck (just getting a machine), so I've emailed and am waiting for a response. The machine says that tickets are available still but who knows if that is accurate. Hopefully I'll get to go on Monday, June 26, that would work best with my work schedule. I live less than 2 hours from Jackson so it can be a day trip. I don't remember IBCs in the past selling out, maybe they did and I was unaware, but in the future I will get tickets in advance!

Edited by Tiffany

Yes, the results of the first round were out in the wee hours of the morning. 12 Senior men, 15 senior women. I know of 2 American men, Brooklyn Mack (schooling Radenko Pavlovich, Columbia Classical Ballet and Universal Ballet Academy, ABT Studio (Radencko Pavlovich coach), Joseph Gatti (schooling Orlando Ballet), Cinncinatti Ballet (Orlando Molina coach) 2 American women. I know Caitlin Valentine, born, raised and working at Orlando Ballet(FL) and Lauren Strongin from Sarasota Ballet (FL) had trained at Universal for 2 years and 4 years at John Cranko. The female coaches I can only assume, but I cannot name for sure.

Among the favorites Daniil Simkin is defintiely still in, Connor Walsh (Houston Ballet), Gleidson Vasconcelos (Royal Winnepeg) and Daniel Sarabia (Boston Ballet) are out. The level is unbelievably high.

The juniors are not as clear to me but I do know that Jeffrey Cirio is still in.

The jury eliminated more than half of the competitors. Let me say though that each and everyone of the competitors were highly talented, skillful ballet dancers who deserve big applause! :):clapping:

Does anyone know if Pisarev made it , ? did he compete ?, he was definately a favorite if he would have been there, or he had a really bad night , as Dani sarabia did.

Yes, the results of the first round were out in the wee hours of the morning. 12 Senior men, 15 senior women. I know of 2 American men, Brooklyn Mack (schooling Radenko Pavlovich, Columbia Classical Ballet and Universal Ballet Academy, ABT Studio (Radencko Pavlovich coach), Joseph Gatti (schooling Orlando Ballet), Cinncinatti Ballet (Orlando Molina coach) 2 American women. I know Caitlin Valentine, born, raised and working at Orlando Ballet(FL) and Lauren Strongin from Sarasota Ballet (FL) had trained at Universal for 2 years and 4 years at John Cranko. The female coaches I can only assume, but I cannot name for sure.

Among the favorites Daniil Simkin is defintiely still in, Connor Walsh (Houston Ballet), Gleidson Vasconcelos (Royal Winnepeg) and Daniel Sarabia (Boston Ballet) are out. The level is unbelievably high.

The juniors are not as clear to me but I do know that Jeffrey Cirrio is still in.

The jury eliminated more than half of the competitors. Let me say though that each and everyone of the competitors were highly talented, skillful ballet dancers who deserve big applause! :tiphat::clapping:

You better believe it!!!! that is the biggest shocker , he did'nt have a great night but not enough not to make it through , he has to dance through with his partner , so we will se how great he is , what a shame!

Link to complete list of dancers making it on to round 2:

http://www.usaibc.com/releases/semifinalists.htm

Biggest 'shocker' is, perhaps, the elimination of Daniel Sarabia.

mer00 I did not see Pisarev there, but that does not mean he was not. Many of the competitiors do not take the classes provided nor do they rehearse publically. I had to get back to work after the first session of the first round so I really did not see much. He obviously did not make the cut, as did not many well deserving dancers.

Thanks if he would have been there we would have noticed him , he is the son of Vadim Pisarev, he is been winning alll this major competetions , he would have been noticed but as you said maybe he was and he just didn't make it like other great deserving dancers , like I have to say again daniel sarabia!

Thanks

mer00 I did not see Pisarev there, but that does not mean he was not. Many of the competitiors do not take the classes provided nor do they rehearse publically. I had to get back to work after the first session of the first round so I really did not see much. He obviously did not make the cut, as did not many well deserving dancers.

I am a bit too much in shock right now to write about it, but Round 2 Session 3 must have been the most remarkable of all the rounds so far. Especially the piece performed by Daniil Simkin. Perhaps someoen will be able to report about it in more detail.

AmaG520: I am in agreement about Simkin's piece. He brought the house down with his piece tonight. I can't do the piece justice in words. All I can say is that he came out on stage dressed in a unitard with bird feathers. His piece was humorous without being campy. It had everything in it and the ending was a hoot. He turned his back to the audience and sort of squatted and bounced up and down. We thought it was the end of the piece, but he turned around and in his hand was a blown-up balloon representing a bird egg. This young man is a true artist, and I don't think there are many dancers who could have carried that piece off the way he did. My DS said that this piece was the highlight of Jackson for him so far.

As for the rest of the evening, I personally didn't like many of the pieces. I felt that many of the competitors did not dance true contemporary choreography. I liked Misa Kuranaga and Daniel Sarabia's piece choreographed by Viktor Plotnikov and the piece done by junior male Hiroya Fukuda.

Again, the judges have their work cut out for them.

This just in:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For More Information:

Meredith Cleland, GodwinGroup – 601.944.0028

Nicole Bradshaw, USA IBC – 601.355.9853

2006 USA International Ballet Competition Names Finalists

JACKSON, Miss., June 26, 2006 – With the conclusion of Round II of the USA International Ballet Competition (IBC), 32 of the world’s finest young dancers will compete for gold, silver and bronze medals during the final round.

Round three competitors are: Senior Males: Cervilio Miguel Amador (Cuba), Joseph Gatti (USA), Masayoshi Onuki (Japan), Eddy Tovar (Cuba), Keigo Fukuda (Japan), Davit Karapetyan (Armenia), Alexandr Buber (Belarus), Avetik Karapetyan (Armenia), Viktor Ishchuk (Ukraine), Zherlin Ndudi (Ukraine), Brooklyn Mack (USA), and Daniil Simkin (Germany).

Senior Females: Adiarys Almeida Santana (Cuba), Yui Yonezawa (Japan), Janessa L. Touchet (USA), Jurgita Dronina (Lithuania), Caitlin Valentine (USA), Natalia Domracheva (Russia), Lauren C. Strongin (USA), Misa Kuranaga (Japan), and Marija Kicevska (Macedonia).

Junior Males: Ryo Izawa (Japan), Isaac Hernandez (Mexico), Jeffrey Cirio (USA), Mathias Dingman (USA), and Denys Cherevychko (Ukraine).

Junior Females: Francesca Dugarte (Venezuela), Christine Shevchenko (USA), Sae-Eun Park (Korea), Kayo Sasabe (Japan), April Giangeruso (USA), Elena Kazakova (Russia), and Sasha De Sola (USA).

“The USA IBC is a milestone in many dancers’ careers, and advancing to the final stage of competition is an unforgettable experience,” said Sue Lobrano, executive director of the USA IBC. “This is when competitors realize that they’ve endured the process and the rigor of being among the world’s best.”

Round III is scheduled for June 27 – 29.

Wow! Great going, guys.

I'd be really grateful if someone could briefly explain what these dancers will be performing as part of the finalist competition -- and how this stage of the competition will be structured.

Thanks in advance.