This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

David Diamond, one of America's greatest 20th century composers, died yesterday, three weeks shy of his 90th birthday. dirac posted two obituaries, one from the New York Times and one from the Independent on Links for June 15.

Diamond was the honorary Composer in Residence for the Seattle Symphony, and Music Directory Gerard Schwarz has long been a champion of his music. Diamond was in town a few weeks ago for performances of his music during the month-long "American Music Festival." Diamond's passing has been noted on the Seattle Symphony's website at:

http://www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony/pr...ail.aspx?ID=247

I hope that the symphony dedicates an upcoming performance or series to his memory. The upcoming concert this week includes Also Sprach Zarathrustra -- which could be appropriate, given his legendary temper -- and the US premiere of Arvo Pärt's Lamentate. Next week's concert is Verdi's Requiem.

National Public Radio's All things Considered aired a nice appreciation of Diamond this morning.

This was organized around Diamond's "Rounds" (see other post above) and is well worth listening to the archived piece. They made the point that, as a relatively cheerful piece, it was rather unlike Diamond's other work, and his usual temperament!

I'm going to go hunt out my recording of "Rounds" later...

There was an announcement on Seattle's classical radio station, KING, that a Diamond piece will be added to tomorrow night's Seattle Symphony performance, and next week's performances of Verdi's Requiem will be dedicated to his memory.

David Diamond, one of America's greatest 20th century composers, died yesterday, three weeks shy of his 90th birthday.  dirac posted two obituaries, one from the New York Times and one from the Independent on Links for June 15.

Diamond was the honorary Composer in Residence for the Seattle Symphony, and Music Directory Gerard Schwarz has long been a champion of his music.  Diamond was in town a few weeks ago for performances of his music during the month-long "American Music Festival."  Diamond's passing has been noted on the Seattle Symphony's website at:

http://www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony/pr...ail.aspx?ID=247

I hope that the symphony dedicates an upcoming performance or series to his memory.  The upcoming concert this week includes Also Sprach Zarathrustra -- which could be appropriate, given his legendary temper -- and the US premiere of Arvo Pärt's Lamentate.  Next week's concert is Verdi's Requiem.

I found this obituary of Diamond on this forum by accident, and I would like to add a littlebit to this posting. Since I am listening on a regular basis I discovered the music of Diamond through the Naxos label. They have recorded or licensed many recordings of him. Almost all of them I have in my collection, and played them reguarly. He is a composer in the American tradition, though there are many european traces to be found, especially in his symphonies. I will miss him sadly, because he was and is a refreshing tonic to my ears. Being with him through his music broadend my musical horizon very much so.

Play his music perform it but do not forget this piece of American musical culture.

Walboi :yahoo: